Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson XR55 POwerhead Rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

I’m rebuilding the powerhead on my XR55. I’m not sure if there is something I’m missing to release the crank from the case? Bill Salisbury had told me at one time about a snap ring, but I cannot see it for the life of me. Any thoughts? Due to rarity of this motor, don’t want to force anything!

Randy, If I send the gasket manufacturer these gaskets could they reproduce them for me?

Attachments:

chris-p
      Participant

I just noticed too the piece I broke as shown in the pics. If anyone has one they would sell I would obviously be interested. If not, I could probably have one cast.

adam1961
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Chris,
          If that broken bit is the detent for the magplate, I would bet that it is common to other motors.

chris-p
          Participant

Yes it is Adam. Hopefully it is the same as the V series, or even others as well. Ill compare it to my V45s

Mumbles
            Participant

What’s the round plug thingy on the side of the block? Is there a screw or bolt in there? Some multi cylinder motors have a retaining bolt in this area to lock the center bearing in place. I’m not sure if your Johnson does or not.

Attachments:

chris-p
              Participant

Yes you are correct Jim. There was a bolt in there to lock the center main. I removed it.

Im not sure if it is just simply pressed in slightly and tight, I don’t want to force it.

Plus, I remember Bill telling me to remove a snap ring, which for the life of me I cannot find. I don’t doubt him on this vintage powerhead, he knows his stuff!

Speaking of Bill, has anyone talked to him lately? I hope he is well.

Mumbles
                Participant

I also found some pages on how to reassemble this motor. Doing some reverse engineering, maybe, just maybe, the crank is stuck to the top bearing and needs a squeeze if there isn’t a locking bolt on the center main?

Attachments:

chris-p
                  Participant

Thanks Jim!

Figure 21 shows the snap ring Bill talked about Im assuming. Ill have to figure out how to remove it without any special tools.

Which manual did you find that in? Im sure I have it, is it the 1922 to 1955 manual?

wbeaton
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’m glad to see you are getting back at this motor. If you end up needing that part cast let me know. We fired up the new furnace today and made some Tee Nee emblems. We will be sandcasting periodically from now until spring.

Wayne
                      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Mumbles
                      Participant
                        quote Chris_P:

Which manual did you find that in? Im sure I have it, is it the 1922 to 1955 manual?

It came from a manual at the Austin Sailor site. Not sure what year as it’s titled 20’s to early 30’s Johnsons.

http://www.austinsailor.net/manuals/20-johnson/ejs.html

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.