Home Forum Ask A Member Just acquired a Johnson Sea Horse 10 convertible long/short shaft.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sanibel
    Participant

I just acquired a Johnson Sea Horse 10hp that is convertible…long or short shaft. It came with the pieces to convert to either shaft length. The motor came with a sailboat I purchased and the previous owners said he thought it was a 1949 or 1950…had owned it since he was in high school. The model number listed on the plate mounted on the motor is QD-14 and the serial number is 1066602 . Can anyone tell me anything about the motor?
      Thanks!

mr-asa
      Participant

A QD-14 is a 1953 motor. Fairly well liked because it’s got the cast in seahorse logo on the leg and they were decent performers. What sort of condition is it in?

Here’s an example, does it match what you have?
        http://www.effenaco.com/store2/viewitem … oductid=82

chris-p
        Participant

Well it is a 1953.

Start with a compression test. Those QDs should be in the 90 to 110 psi range. Should be equal between cylinders.

If compression is good, check the spark. Pop off the flywheel. If the coils are cracked they will need to be replaced. If you don’t have the means to test the condensors, change them. If they have the original red tops, change them. If they have black rubber tops, they have already been done.
          Dress the points, set at 020 and then clean with acetone. Spark plugs are Champion J6C.

On a new motor, change out the water pump impeller. Change the gear oil and crush washers on the plugs.

Did you get the pressure tank with it?

sanibel
          Participant

Thanks for the helpful info! The previous owner said it ran great when he last used it two years ago. It does turn over freely but I have not put fuel in it or tried to start it. I am really not am outboard guy or a mechanic so am trying to decide whether I should try to do anything with it or sell it as is as I will be using a new 4 stroke on the sailboat. It does look pretty interesting. I have posted a few pictures on Photobucket at … http://s527.photobucket.com/user/boodak … t=3&page=1

sanibel
            Participant
              quote Mr. Asa:

A QD-14 is a 1953 motor. Fairly well liked because it’s got the cast in seahorse logo on the leg and they were decent performers. What sort of condition is it in?

Here’s an example, does it match what you have?
              http://www.effenaco.com/store2/viewitem … oductid=82

Yes, this does look like my motor. Thanks!

sanibel
              Participant
                quote Chris_P:

Well it is a 1953.

Start with a compression test. Those QDs should be in the 90 to 110 psi range. Should be equal between cylinders.

If compression is good, check the spark. Pop off the flywheel. If the coils are cracked they will need to be replaced. If you don’t have the means to test the condensors, change them. If they have the original red tops, change them. If they have black rubber tops, they have already been done.
                Dress the points, set at 020 and then clean with acetone. Spark plugs are Champion J6C.

On a new motor, change out the water pump impeller. Change the gear oil and crush washers on the plugs.

Did you get the pressure tank with it?

Thanks for the quick reply! No, I did not get a pressure tank with it.

pappy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That engine requires at least a 24:1 fuel/oil ratio to run and live. Don’t let anyone local tell you any different. They are very nice running engines, good idle and great power.
                  As has been mentioned….a pressure tank….is also required to run that engine in it’s present form. A fuel pump would have to be added to utilize a modern single line tank. That change would still requires the heavier fuel/oil mix.
                  You have a good find however, not may around that can be converted from a short to a long shaft that are complete with the kit to do that.

mr-asa
                  Participant
                    quote Sanibel:

Thanks for the helpful info! The previous owner said it ran great when he last used it two years ago. It does turn over freely but I have not put fuel in it or tried to start it. I am really not am outboard guy or a mechanic so am trying to decide whether I should try to do anything with it or sell it as is as I will be using a new 4 stroke on the sailboat. It does look pretty interesting. I have posted a few pictures on Photobucket at … http://s527.photobucket.com/user/boodak … t=3&page=1

Looks like a decent looking motor. Try cleaning it and a little automotive wax and it should look pretty good. If nothing else, it will help with the price if you do decide to sell it

sanibel
                    Participant

Thanks. I do think it best that I let it go to someone who will know what to do with it and enjoy it. So, I did just post it in classifieds.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.