Home Forum Ask A Member Just joined to make a vintage outboard available to the community

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    roj115
    Participant

Hi Folks,

I just joined this group on a recommendation from some good folks on the iBoats forums. I had put out a posting on their Johnson/Evinrude forum about a 1961 Johnson Seahorse 10 that I have and asking advice on what I should do with it. I wanted to know if people still ran those things or if it was basically scrap metal. They told me there are people out there who still run/collect those old motors and that the motor would be of value to them either as a source of hard-to-get parts or as restoration project. Taking that advice, I have decided to make this motor available to the antique outboard community rather than give it to a metal recycler.

The motor came to my family when we bought a cabin on a lake in 1974. I think the family who had it before were the original owners; I think they bought it new the same year they built their cabin but I have no proof of it. After we got it, I used it for a few years and it ran okay but it was sometimes difficult to start and in 1977 it wasn’t running too reliably. At that point, my mother told my Dad in no uncertain terms, he better not show up at the cabin again without a new motor for the tin boat. Dad dutifully complied, wisely opting to avoid the wrath of my somewhat intimidating Mom… 😉

Since then, the motor has been stored in a boathouse and hasn’t moved. It’s pretty much intact except the flywheel and recoil starter are off of it. (I removed them to get at the flywheel key to do an emergency repair on the water pump of my 1974 Johnson 115 a few years ago.) I still have those parts and I have the cowl as well but the pieces/nameplates on the sides that said Johnson Seahorse 10 are both missing.

The leg/gearcase and propeller are all still good and the engine could probably be made to run again with some work. My guess is that it was probably winterized when it was mothballed but even if it wasn’t, the motor still turns over and is probably sound.

I had a friend who had some space in his truck haul the motor from the cabin to my home in the City and it just arrived here today. I’m not trying to make money from it, I just want to see this old motor go to someone who can make good use of it. Hopefully, they will restore it to its former glory but if it only has value as a parts motor, so be it. Look for my posting on your classifieds coming soon.

joecb
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You didn’t tell us where you are from. Perhaps you should check out the "upcoming events" page, find a chapter meet near by and bring the motor. You might find a deserving youngster to give it to , sell it to a member, or best decide to fix it yourself and keep it, run it on the family "tin" boat.

Joe B

Mumbles
        Participant

The ten horse are a popular motor so I’m sure someone will want it. They haven’t been made since ’63 so we have to save them or restore them. Here’s a ’59 ten horse I did last year which was made up from at least a half dozen parts motors.

jw-in-dixie
          Participant

Mumbles, I like your handtruck stand. Neat. And, beautiful restoration. 😀

JW in Dixie

roj115
            Participant

That’s a gorgeous restoration! It’s like something you’d see coming out of American Restoration.

I hope someone does that to my ’61!

I’m in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Shipping the motor to the US will likely be expensive if that’s where it goes but the motor is complete and it likely doesn’t have that many hours on it so it will probably be well worth the cost to get it to wherever it ends up going.

1946zephyr
              Participant

1961? That’s new to us 😀

roj115
                Participant

Well, it looks as though there’s no interest in that motor. I’ll keep it around for another week and if I still haven’t received any expressions of interest, I’ll take it down to the local scrap metal dealer and recycle it. Seems like such a shame because I’m basically trying to give it away, it’s complete and it should be really easy to get it running again but no one seems to want it and I don’t want it around anymore so the best I can do is recycle the metal.

Either that, or I’ll take it apart and put all the parts up on eBay…

Mumbles
                  Participant

Coming out to the island for holidays this summer?

Bring it with you and I’ll take you out salmon fishing! 😀

Dang it, a friend just came back from Red Deer!

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Please do not scrap it. Give these guys a little time. I just paid big money for a 1952 ten hp outboard so I can build it again! The shipping was the worst costs! Look at Mumbles motor put together with at least 6 parts motors. Please save it!! They are getting hard to find!!

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

I would LOVE to have such an outboard, but the cost the ship it to Florida make that impossible. . . . . 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.