Home Forum Ask A Member just saw this today

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    albator
    Participant

hello i just saw this today i dont know the year and i can have it for peanut it was in good running condition 10 year ago .are they good motor?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
      bobw
      Participant

US Member

That’s a 1955 model 7.5hp. Good motors and if the price is right, grab the motor and the tank!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

grab it fast…pay the man his peanuts…

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+1955+7.5+outboard&&view=detail&mid=20B142FA2836945990BA20B142FA2836945990BA&&FORM=VDRVRV

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
          aquasonic
          Participant

US Member

Wow! Don’t let that one get away!

Mumbles
            Participant

I’d give the whole plantation for it!

Does it have the correct pressure tank to go with it? 16:1 fuel mix.

need2fish
              Participant

It’s beautiful ! Maybe not so much on the insides — as good as the exterior looks, the motor may have been stored for long time without maintenance.

Consider going through:
                o Carb and tank — clean them — over time the fuel can harden and block fuel passages
                o Magneto. If the coils have never been changed, it’s likely they’ll need replacing as the OEM units of the era cracked alot
                o Lower unit. The seals may have hardened so much that they’ll pass water. drain, flush, fill and test. Repeat.
                o Cylinders. Pop off one of the bypass covers to and take a peek at the rings and pistons to ensure the bores aren’t filled with rust.

Although my 7.5 spends all of its time on a rack, it’s super reliable and the perfect size for pushing a 12 foot aluminum or fiberglass boat.

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

Those are sweet-running motors, and quiet compared to other motors of the 1950s. The tank can be worth as much as the motor sometimes. I have three of those 7-1/2s.
                  Dave

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

need2fish….i would jump on it without a blink if the price was peanuts….….whomever had this motor surely took care of it by looks alone. A lot of uglies run fine so a beauty like that has all the chances of being a great runner….

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, that appears to be in original pristine cosmetic condition, a rare find… Please don’t buy it with expecting to put it on the boat and take off. The engine will need ignition/fuel system/water pump/gearcase servicing in order to be a reliable daily runner. Check the inside of the fuel tank. Just because it looks nice on the outside doesn’t mean it will be clean inside.
                      This beautiful engine is almost too nice to be used constantly, should be saved for special occasions, but that is up to you…..
                      Stick with the original fuel mixing instructions: 16:1, ignore all the hype about today’s oils being superior so less is needed…This engine has plain connecting rod bearings, and needs plenty of oil or it will be ruined quickly….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.