Home Forum Ask A Member JW 19 Throttle adjustment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

Hi Again Fellows
      I have seen numerous posts about setting these so that the cam follower is opening the throttle between the two dots.

My problem is when the throttle lever, when the cam follower is as far forward as possible, is between the two dot doesnt opent the throttle at all I have to advance it halfway to between the last dot and the start postion to get the lever to start to move.

Is there another adjustment? Is the spring stretched ?

What am I missing. Again I can get it to idle down but I am a long way right of the dots if i move it any further to the left it will stall.

Some one who could explain what I am not understanding would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Is the cam at the limit of its slotted hole? Is the vertical leg of the cam bent?

jw-19-cam

billy-t
        Participant

Yes Frank the cam is at the limit as far forward as I can bring it. It doesnt look bent. It is not the first one they all seem that way and I have worked on six of them over the last few years. I must be doing something wrong, not understaning something.

Thanks

Tinman
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I may be totally wrong here but I don’t remember my jw having any “dots” on the cam follower. It’s a 61.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes Frank the cam is at the limit as far forward as I can bring it. It doesnt look bent. It is not the first one they all seem that way and I have worked on six of them over the last few years. I must be doing something wrong, not understaning something.

Thanks

You won’t really be able to see if the cam is bent unless you compare it to a known good cam. These cams are easily bent backwards, usually when the carb butterfly is seized/corroded. The metal cam follower won’t budge when the throttle is advanced, so the steel cam just bends backwards.

billy-t
              Participant

okay will take a look and do some comparisons.

Thanks as always for answering my questions fellows.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.