Home Forum Ask A Member JW 22 Starting Problems

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JohnRude
    Participant

Canada Member

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to help think through this problem. Today I removed the carb with the fixed high speed jet from the JW 22 and after changing the tank to carb connections put on a leaky carb from a JW 16. Motor started on the second pull, ran great and after a bit of fiddling idled down to a quiet purr. Obviously, the original carb that I overhauled has a problem. The leaky carb from the JW 16 is in another post.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool, glad it is solved

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the mistery remains…..

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

JohnRude
          Participant

Canada Member

Indeed. With the older carb the motor is “normal” even with sub average compression. I think there may have been a problem with the carb from the beginning. For a three, it’s not all beat up. Barely used. The Red book doesn’t have anything on the JW 22 and nobody seems to know much about how things changed with a carb with no high speed jet. The bowl is slightly different from the older model.

Anyway, again, many thanks for pointing me in…a direction. Now, onto the leaky JW 16 carb which the JW 22 seems to love.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

that carb is 57 years old and previous owner surely  ran that engine without  headaches.

The structure of the carb did not  change  and remains a bunch of passages and ” holes” to  let fuel sucked in

did you  try to install it on the other JW you got the  “working” carb from

Although I know you cleaned it   did you run some  small mono or “carb brushes”  in all  passages.

Some folks have been known to plug up the air intake to the carb …..thinking the lead pellet  had dropped out !

compare your good  ” needle” carb with the jw22 … &  check parts diagram ..

aside from the hs  jet and cover bolt   look for any  missing or ” extra parts”  !  did you open up the air silencer  and clean out any  bugs

p.s. … could not remove left jpg. 🙁

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

JohnRude
              Participant

Canada Member

Yes, yes, and yes. That leaky JW 16 carb? I took it apart and replaced everything with a new carb kit. Much better jet packing washers and new float needle and carrier. No more leaking. Put said carb onto the JW 22. Started first pull. Warmed up and dialed down to a fast idle. “Slow” is at the “S” of START and is barely ticking over. Below that it quits.

I tried the fixed high speed carb from this JW 22 on another JW that was good. Still didn’t work.  Pics of the JW 22 attached. I hope.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.