Home Forum Ask A Member Jw spring …done it but forgot

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I need to install my spring in a JW starter … I know there is a trick on how to use the little side ” pin hole ” FR commented on it some time ago…

could anyone give me a crash course on how to wind and set the darn spring

thanks

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

1. Find some sort of a pin (Allen wrench??) that will fit through the hole and set it aside
        2. Remove rope from the pulley
        3. Holding the starter down on the bench top, wind the pulley & spring all the way and back it off one turn. WARNING, hang onto the dang thing. If it gets away from you, it will go flying back and backlash the spring. Insert the pin through the hole. That will keep the pulley/spring from unwinding
        4. The rest is easy, install the rope, etc
        5. Hang onto the rope and remove the pin and allow the rope to retract.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The way I read Frank’s instruction, it seems to imply that the spring is already wound into the housing? Anyway, this is how I have evolved in winding in springs: Put a heavy rag down on the bench top and place the empty recoil housing on it. Put the loop of the spring onto the anchor pin and carefully start to turn the housing on the rag, while guiding the spring into it’s location. Simply continue turning and pushing until the spring is fully wound in. Then follow Frank’s directions. I used to try to wind the spring up in my hand, then place it into it’s location. The other way is easier. After it’s wound in, put a few drops of gear oil on the spring.

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The way I read Frank’s instruction, it seems to imply that the spring is already wound into the housing? Anyway, this is how I have evolved in winding in springs: Put a heavy rag down on the bench top and place the empty recoil housing on it. Put the loop of the spring onto the anchor pin and carefully start to turn the housing on the rag, while guiding the spring into it’s location. Simply continue turning and pushing until the spring is fully wound in. Then follow Frank’s directions. I used to try to wind the spring up in my hand, then place it into it’s location. The other way is easier. After it’s wound in, put a few drops of gear oil on the spring.

Yeah. I thought the OP was saying the spring was in but he needed to wind it up. Thanks for clearing that up, Bill

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wear safety glasses!!

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

yep….always do

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.