KE-4 Rocket ?s

Home Forum Ask A Member KE-4 Rocket ?s

This topic contains 62 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by RICHARD A. WHITE RICHARD A. WHITE 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
    wyo307

Replies: 141
    Topics: 40

What is the good and the bad about a Mercury KE-4 Rocket 7.5hp? I have a chance to pick one up (serial number 546669, puts it a late model 1952) for a decent deal and it looks to be in nice original complete shape. He says that it has 95 and 98 psi compression is that adequate for this motor? He also says that it has spark on one cylinder but not the other so I am assuming new coils and condensers are in order so how expensive/hard to find are those? Anything else I should know about this motor before I go look at it? I have never even seen one of these old Mercs in person so I don’t really know what I would be getting into here, I am more of a Johnson/ Evinrude kind of guy. He is only asking $60 for it so I figure it is worth my time to take a look at least. Here are some pictures of it.

Thank you for the insite

RICHARD A. WHITE
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1576
    Topics: 124

Most certainly worth $60.. Will be a pretty strong runner. All parts, coils, points and condensers are out there, as well as water pump impellers.
    Some parts might b e a bit harder to find but they ARE out there. Snag it

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com

2fast4me
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 149
    Topics: 11

I paid $60 for mine and it wasn’t that nice. I don’t see the required dents in the tank or lower cowl that usually are on these old motors. I’d buy it!!!
    Jim

garry-in-tampa
    Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3072
    Topics: 30

They are equal to todays 8 horse motor but a lot lighter. . . 😀

richardg
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 41
    Topics: 4

Buy it! It more likely than not has a phelon ignition. I have have found many with a serviceable impeller.

A little cleaning of tank, carb, and fuel line, two new coils, a new pull cord rope and pull handle, and fuel filter and you will have it running.

Avoid the temptation to pull it all apart.

These are my favorite motors. Very easy to work on. I can explain how to use OMC coils on it in place of the more expensive phelon aftermarket coils.

If you are missing anything email me.

green-thumbs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 302
    Topics: 35

Early KE4 have Bendix magneto later versions like yours have Repco/Phelon magnetos.
    If it were mine I would replace seals in crankcase and lower unit as part of winter
    preventative maintenance. Mercurys are different. They take a little getting used to.
    The picture indicates this KE4 was not abused or worked on by the unskillful. For the
    asking price I could find room for it in a heartbeat.
    Louis

nali

Replies: 97
    Topics: 7

More than decent IMO.

wedgie
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 964
    Topics: 94

Even with the exchange rate equal $80.00 Canadian, that is a good deal. Very good original condition from the pictures.

ddwilson
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 231
    Topics: 28

great real good running motors at that price i would not think twice before i went after it. Parts are around and not that bad looks to have been cared for

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
    turned off?

mercuryman
    mercuryman
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 340
    Topics: 121

Very powerful for its size, mine will do 18 mph on 11.5 ft plywood boat. Easy to work on compared to other Mercuries. I have a Mk 7 powerhead on KE4 so I have the Phelon magneto will idle very slow.

wyo307

Ok Guys I think you have me convinced to at least go see if it is in fact as nice as the photos make it look. I’ll probably buy it if it is. The problem is it is 4 hours away but I am already heading down there next weekend anyways so as long as he doesn’t sell it between now and then I’ll be good.

wyo307

Well this motor ended up following me home this weekend. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. I ended up with it for $55. So now does anyone have a manual/parts diagram for this motor that they are willing to share with me? I’ll post up some better pictures of it this afternoon.

opposedtwin
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 588
    Topics: 196

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-KE4-Mark- … Ciid%253A9

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Early-Mercury-KE4 … iid%253A17

seakaye12
    seakaye12
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 386
    Topics: 102

There might be some useful information for free right here:

http://pub9.bravenet.com/photocenter/al … 8/49287/1/

fifty20ne
    fifty20ne
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 175
    Topics: 331

I like this restoration video.

http://www.muskokaseaflea.ca/flash/KE4% … n/KE4.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.