KE-4 Rocket ?s

Home Forum Ask A Member KE-4 Rocket ?s

This topic contains 62 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by RICHARD A. WHITE RICHARD A. WHITE 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

• betty-ann-bernardd

Replies: 163
    Topics: 2

Glad to pass it on at 70 we need to have the younger guy keep it going.

wyo307

Replies: 141
    Topics: 39

What is the best way to go about freeing up the vent screw on the gas cap? It seems to be rusted/corroded shut. My thoughts were soak it in something like clr but I didn’t know if that would hurt the plastic gas cap. Any thoughts?

dave-bernard
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 781
    Topics: 9

if I have a problem I drill them out and replace them drill small and then use a tap to clean the threads

Tubs
    Tubs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1963
    Topics: 113

If you clamp the vent screw in a vice
    between 2 pieces of wood so you don’t
    mar it up then you have more to grab
    on to. Spray with some type of lubricant
    and try just going back and forth at first.
    No luck? Give it a break and try later.
    Time can be a big part of the solution
    when getting stuff unstuck.

wyo307

Can someone please explain to me how to remove the tower from the transom clamp assembly? The rod circled in the parts diagram needs to come out but I don’t know how it does. It is threaded on the inside of it on the top and there is no hole to take it out the bottom. Any help?

RICHARD A. WHITE
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1464

Thread a 1/2-20 piece of all-thread and pull up and out….

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com

wyo307

Its just pressed in then?

mercuryman
    mercuryman
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 324
    Topics: 117

You can buy replacement coil from Rock Auto for $24.95 – Its Standard #S3-604 made in USA . They work as good as the Phelon.

RICHARD A. WHITE
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1464
    quote Wyo307:

Its just pressed in then?

Yes, but more of a light press, meaning it is not going to require a huge amount of force to get it out..

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com

dave-bernard
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 781
    Topics: 9

just a slide in fit. a slight tap will do it.

green-thumbs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 280
    Topics: 35

Slide In Slide Out…not always the case. Some notable exceptions have required HEAT and LOTs of it PLUS the nut,washer, pipe and threaded rod with a lot of foot pounds on wrench to get a
    really corroded in place pin started out. Sometimes you have to drill and thread the pin as
    not all were threaded and tap will not start until the bore is correct size for tap. Grease pin before installing. It may help the next time.
    Working on one right now that will have to be drilled and tapped.
    Louis

billw
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 969
    Topics: 33
    quote green thumbs:

Slide In Slide Out…not always the case. Some notable exceptions have required HEAT and LOTs of it PLUS the nut,washer, pipe and threaded rod with a lot of foot pounds on wrench to get a
    really corroded in place pin started out. Sometimes you have to drill and thread the pin as
    not all were threaded and tap will not start until the bore is correct size for tap. Grease pin before installing. It may help the next time.
    Working on one right now that will have to be drilled and tapped.
    Louis

Yeah, in my experience, this has been the rule, rather than the exception….

wyo307

Thank you everyone for the help I will go get some all thread and see what happens. At least mine is threaded already so I am at least one step in the right direction. If it is like everything else on this motor it will come apart easily……too easily, has me a bit worried.

wyo307

quote Wyo307:

Thank you everyone for the help I will go get some all thread and see what happens. At least mine is threaded already so I am at least one step in the right direction. If it is like everything else on this motor it will come apart easily……too easily, has me a bit worried.

I was able to get the carb done last night.

3davet

Replies: 22
    Topics: 1

WYO you have a good project going there. Good luck. Even if the motor wasn’t salvageable, those hard to find lower cowls would probably find a buyer for what you paid for the motor.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.