Home Forum Ask A Member KE-4 Rocket ?s

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    dave-bernard
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

the screwdriver was a option on the mercs.

wyo307
      Participant

Ok well I took it apart a ways yesterday just to see what I have to work with and it came apart too easy. All of the screws holding the tank and cowlings together weren’t even hand tight. The flywheel nut also wasn’t very tight, the mag plate itself was loose, one spark plug wasn’t even hand tight and the other is stuck. Anyways I really just wanted to see what the coils looked like so that is where I went first. What does everyone think of these? Why would they do this? The seller said there was spark on one cylinder but not the other which makes since because one of the points is gummed up enough it is stuck open. Will these need replaced or just cleaned up?

I will check on the screw driver grip as well.

dave-bernard
        Participant

WOW that is clean points . replace the condensers . check the coils and wash if OK they may be good. replace the plug wires would be what I would do. if the coils are bad replace them.

wyo307
          Participant

What kind of a reading should I expect from the coils if they are good on the secondary winding?

dave-bernard
            Participant

on the tiller handles the screw driver one is shorter than the standard one.

chinewalker
              Participant

If the coils aren’t cracked, they may actually work! Clean them up and take a look. Clean the points to bright metal – or replace with new if you’d rather. Condensers are a known weak spot, I usually replace them with OMC versions that fit with minor modifications.

green-thumbs
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it until it is. Clean and set the points and put it back together and
                  see what kind of spark you get. If the magneto does
                  what is expected of it no need to spend time or money on it at this time.

Screwdriver in handle listed in Kiekhaefer Mercury Outboard Motor Accessories
                  as M-40-2074 @ $5.41 An expensive dodad in early 1950s dollars…minimum wage was
                  in 50 to 75 cent range then. The same money spent on a couple screwdrivers (+ & -)
                  and some other small items such as a spark plug wrench and a couple spare plugs
                  would have been more useful.

chuckw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I f I were you I would not mess around with those coils. Get replacements from Jim Judkins and replace the condensers. Clean up the points. Replace the crank seals top and bottom. Coils may give spark , but under load after they get warm and underway they may fail. Better safe than sorry on the lake.

opposedtwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

+1 on what chuckw said!

wyo307
                      Participant

Ok so I tested the coils last night and both seem to be in decent working shape. I tested between the points and the plug leads and got readings in the 6-7 ohms on each of them. Then from the points to ground and it buried the needle. This motor will never be used for real boating applications just a quick buzz around the lake maybe a few times each year, so I think that I will clean and reset the points and put it back together and see what happens. If I experience some issues down the road with it not performing as it should then I will get back in there and start replacing stuff but if It runs well enough for what I want to do there is no reason to drop upwards of $100 on new coils and condensers.

I did check the tiller and it doesn’t have the screw driver grip…..darn.

I also thought that I was missing the throttle return spring but it turns out that it was just gummed up enough that it wasn’t moving so that is good. I may be able to get away with just replacing the impeller and then I’ll have a runner on my hands. This motor is number two or three in line after my RDE is finished so it will likely be spring before I can get to her.

Once again thank you everyone for all of the help I am amazed at the knowledge people on here have about these old things.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 63 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.