Home Forum Ask A Member KE4 Lubrication

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    goldmember
    Participant

What should I use for lubrication to rotate the stator plate “Slow – Fast”?

Also, I assume lubriplate is no longer available for the lower unit, what do you reccomend?

A Hoskins
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If I remember right, there is a friction adjustment under the stator plate. Loosen the friction, lube the area with whatever you have handy in your oiler can, then adjust the friction. Lubriplate 105 is available from a number of sources and is fine for the lower unit. Your NAPA store can get it for you and you can find it on Amazon. Want to make friends ? Spring for a case from Amazon, then go to an AOMC meet and sell it at your cost which will be about 30% less than over the counter.

"Fox News" isn't.

westwind
        Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

TSC (Tractor Supply) has Super S spindle grease, similar to Lubriplate, comes in a quart squeeze bottle for about $5. Easier to use that John Deere Corn Head grease which is another good alternative, come in a grease gun tube.

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Word to the wise, My 63 200 with a 22hp ph I cleaned the mag plate spotless & assembled. I used mineral oil directive c for lubing the pivot point. The mag plate was not bonded well to the crank case & a reverse current happened. One coil reversed potential & turned the other cylinder points gold they got so hot. I ran a bonding wire from mag to cylinder block to stop any resistance between components. Never had another problem. Hi voltage does weird tricks.
            Corn Head grease is the best. Saw a U-tube video running exposed gears spinning with a garden hose watering it
            & the lube was not washed out at all. I bought 105 & use it too but messy with a horse syringe packed from a 1 gallon can of 105. To remove from gearcase heat the case mildly.

goldmember
            Participant

Thank You All

chuckw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Old Mercs and NAPA have Lubriplate 105

olcah
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I bought a tube of Lubriplate 105 at O’Reilly Auto Parts last week. (about $11.00 with tax)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by olcah.
                  A Hoskins
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jeff makes an excellent point about the mag plate making a poor ground to the crankcase through the lube.
                    The last time I bought a case of Lubriplate 105 my cost per 10 oz. tube was $6.00.

"Fox News" isn't.

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Has anyone tried dry graphite lube for the mag plate? I use OMC Triple Guard Grease on my OMCs and have had zero issues with grounding through the lube. If continuity proved to be a problem, maybe this would be a solution. Graphite is mostly carbon and carbon is a fair conductor. I have never tried it, but I wondered if anyone else has.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I was wondering about di-electric grease for mag plates. I’ve used it on battery post before
                        attaching the terminals, flashlight switches, and multiply other uses.
                        When I read up on said grease in the past, I was confused whether or
                        not it was “conductive…..then again, if not, how does it work so good?

Has anyone tried dry graphite lube for the mag plate? I use OMC Triple Guard Grease on my OMCs and have had zero issues with grounding through the lube. If continuity proved to be a problem, maybe this would be a solution. Graphite is mostly carbon and carbon is a fair conductor. I have never tried it, but I wondered if anyone else has.

-Ben

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.