Kill switch

Home Forum Safety Kill switch

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by frankr frankr 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    wedgie

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/aomcio5/public_html/wp-content/themes/monstroid2/bbpress/loop-single-reply.php on line 19

Replies: 966
    Topics: 94

I currently do not have any kill switches. Thinking maybe I should get me some 😯 .

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … -1.4039125

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4185
    Topics: 424

Excellent idea! That incident was a little too close to home and they are very lucky they didn’t drown as I heard they weren’t wearing PFD’s. I don’t know for sure though.

The last few years I’ve been making it a habit to install a lanyard kill switch on larger motors. If I get thrown out of the boat, it will come back to get me guaranteed but if my PFD is inflated, I won’t be able to go under to avoid the boat. Kind of a catch 22 situation.

I just received a bunch of these in the mail from my friends in China. They also have the ‘push to kill’ feature found on the expensive ones. They took four months to arrive but I guess it was worth it.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Ou … 2749.l2658

PugetSoundBoater
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 979
    Topics: 135

I installed one on a 10′ Invader many years ago,hooked up to my one and only "dark side"motor. As i was looking at the switches Mumbles showed, I thought it would also act as a moored boat theft deterrent to some extent if hidden underneath/below the control panel,out of view. Pull the cord and take it with you when you leave the boat ,maybe hide the red button with a black rubber boot.
    A good idea Wedgie and Mumbles,thanks for sharing.
    Glad to hear the Canadian accident ended with no fatalities.
    Now installing one on all my runners that get used,and all my friends motors i service.
    EDIT

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

PugetSoundBoater
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 979
    Topics: 135

I bought 1 of the eBay switches that Mumbles posted. Tested it out and checked the quality of this Chinese mfr’d switch. Seems ok,i am using this in a marine application,so wanted to check it out well. Ordered 5 more ,got free shipping.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

ian

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/aomcio5/public_html/wp-content/themes/monstroid2/bbpress/loop-single-reply.php on line 19

Replies: 50
    Topics: 7

I have to admit, that I made a mistake and could have used a lanyard safety switch. Fortunately I was alone, and no one saw me, so it didn’t happen….

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4185
    Topics: 424

That must have been one of those ‘What happens at the lake, stays at the lake’ scenarios. 😀

jerry-ahrens
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1016
    Topics: 70

When I was 16 yrs. old I rolled my boat while going over a wave . I went over the wave parralel to it, and the 12 ft. boat with a 9.9 Evinrude just dumped me right out. Hitting the lake face first at 30 mph is scary. When i came up, the boat continued down the lake on plane without me. It made a long turn then came right back at me! Luckily my dad was out there in his boat to rescue me. my boat rammed the rear of dads then new 25 Johnson, destroying the cowling on his new motor. After that, a guy smoking a pipe in a 20 ft. jon boat came up to my boat ( now going in circles) and was some how able to shut down the motor. It made me a believer in kill lanyard switches… Scary stuff!

jw-in-dixie

Replies: 374
    Topics: 24

Boat buddy Bob was suddenly pitched over the bow of his WOT B hydro. The lanyard kill switch killed the Mark25. The lower unit had fallen off and the no-longer-turning prop acted as a brake. Bob was only wet but the kill switch probably saved his motor from self destruction by over revving.
    Never leave home without one.

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4392
    Topics: 43

I personally know of three guys that were run over and killed by their own boat after being tossed overboard. One of them was only a TN/TD 5hp Johnson. Another wasn’t found for several days after they found his empty bass boat rammed up into the weeds on the shore.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.