Home Forum Ask A Member Late 30’s seaking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’ve got this late 30’s sea king about finished and I’m wanting to put new decals on. The site says specify hp but I’m not sure. Serial # is 101838 but nothing in the old outboard book about serial #’s and sea kings. In the price guide section it mentions a midget single cylinder with the chipmunk spark plugs covers but mine is a twin . I have another seaking twin a year or two newer and part of the decal is legible and reads 3 HP but it looks a little bigger than the one I’m questioning. Any help is appreciated and y’all have already answered a couple questions about this motor and it now starts and runs

IMG_20200630_2017066612

It's a jungle out there.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Mumbles.
      Buccaneer
      Participant

I don’t know what model, but it’s a neat looking motor. I looked through jpegs of ads I’ve saved over the years,
        and don’t see one like it. I wonder “who” made this motor for Sea King in this era?

Prepare to be boarded!

tinkerman
        Participant

I was thinking Evinrude because aside from the spark plugs covers (and the sea king shaped tank) it resembles a handitwin I’ve got from the same era. I’ve found a couple of random charts online but they say late 30’s was a 3 HP Evinrude built twin and a 5 HP Evinrude built twin. If the decal is correct on the other one I have then this mystery one is LESS than 3 HP, simply because it has smaller heads and exhaust than the 3 HP I’ve got. Somebody will know, I think. There’s guys on here that are a lot more knowledgeable than me on these old motors (thankfully)

It's a jungle out there.

nabmd
          Participant

page 263 of P Hunn’s The Old Outboard book shows Evinrude built Sea Kings; check both columns; there are listings for a 2.5HP model, bottom right column. Maybe that fits.

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you go to Jason Baxter Wizard Outboard site and go to Tech you will find some date on the prewar Sea King outboards. I thing enough to pin
              down which twin model number you have. That may be useful in tracking
              down a decals.
              Good Luck
              Louis

Edit Montgomery Ward Sea King brand outboards were made by Evinrude in1938 to 1942 prewar period, except for a price
              leader single made by Thor / Kiekhaefer.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by green-thumbs.
              nabmd
              Participant

there may be a model # on a welsh plug in the left cylinder, behind the carb; you may have to take the gas tank and the carb off to find it; and it may be covered with grime, etc

need2fish
                Participant

I have the identical motor — it has no stamped serial number anywhere…. just casting #s. Welch plugs are blank.

It’s a derivative of the Evinrude sportsman (2.5hp – 3.3hp)…. the opposed twin motor with the “cheeks”.

Like most small evinrudes of the era, the skeg on those motors is extremely fragile.

It’s got Evinrude’s poppet valve drown-it-to prime-it carb — very messy.

It’s a sweet running motor — make sure the poppet valve moves up on inhale and returns to the seated position.

need2fish
                  Participant

P.S. the closest I got on identifying it was from Art Dekalb — he sold me a casting for the upper plate of the lower unit….. he said the model # probably had “EA” in it.

…. maybe you can find an old MW catalogue on line.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    tinkerman
                    Participant

Thanks for the replys, I’ll follow up on em.

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
                      Participant

Upon examination and studying Peter Hunns book more closely, I believe my sea king to be a 2-1/2 horsepower the engine block and heads are identical to a handitwin, which is 2-1/2 HP and their are a couple of 2-1/2’s listed in the old outboard book. It’s puzzling that their is NOT a serial number on some of these motors. I felt like all the numbers I found were casting numbers and the other gentleman that commented verified this. Anyway that’s what decals are going on it. Thanks for all the help. (Now if anyone’s got a plunger for the points for a 36 hannditwin and a Bosh coil I’d gladly pay fair price for it. I’m gonna post this in classifieds

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.