Home Forum Ask A Member late ’80’s 9.9/15 flat plastic top carburetor

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I just cleaned and serviced a 15 OMC carburetor yesterday. It was the one with the stamped tin float bowl… seems like that is a pretty reliable carburetor. I think that motor is a 1979 (missing serial/model tag) just like the one I grew up running. I’ll swear that’s the best motor my dad ever had. We never had a problem with it. Those little low profile motors sure went through a lot of changes over the years.

PugetSoundBoater
      Participant

Fleetwin- i agree totally with you as to the reason OMC/BRP changed to the plastic top and bowl as the metal carbs worked just fine. A bit cheaper to produce ?? Fit more different motors, kinda a universal carb. In the carb kit, there are 4 different top cover gaskets. This same kit fit a late 90’s 8 hp.So i guess it is the standardize the parts thing that happened.
        I like those all metal 70’s-80’s 9.9/15 carbs except for the little plastic needle bearing . Carefully digging that out of the low speed needle passage is a task.You got to be gentle so as to not gouge up the needle recess down in there.
        Thanks for all your comments.
        Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
        Robbie Robertson

Mumbles
        Participant

Pulling the small plastic bearing is easy peasy if you use a small hook. I use a dental pick with a small hook on the end but a paper clip might work to.

Attachments:

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

That’s a good little tool you made there Mumbles. I will remember that for next time as i’m sure there will be one. 😀

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote Jerry Ahrens:

I just cleaned and serviced a 15 OMC carburetor yesterday. It was the one with the stamped tin float bowl… seems like that is a pretty reliable carburetor. I think that motor is a 1979 (missing serial/model tag) just like the one I grew up running. I’ll swear that’s the best motor my dad ever had. We never had a problem with it. Those little low profile motors sure went through a lot of changes over the years.

Yeah, 77-85 were the best years for sure….Rugged and reliable powerheads and gearcases….Too bad, OMC/BRP loves to put ridiculous prices on the cheap plastic/rubber stuff that always breaks/wears out…

PugetSoundBoater
              Participant
                quote fleetwin:

quote Jerry Ahrens:

Yeah, 77-85 were the best years for sure….Rugged and reliable powerheads and gearcases….Too bad, OMC/BRP loves to put ridiculous prices on the cheap plastic/rubber stuff that always breaks/wears out…

So i assume that the plastic topped carbs started in ’86? CD ignition did start in 1977.
                "cheap plastic /rubber stuff that always breaks?wears out"… hope my carb top doesn’t.I was careful to not over tighten the screws.I lack a torque wrench that goes down to 10 In Lbs as the manual states when installing the bowl and carb top.
                Thanks, Jim PSB

Robbie Robertson

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                  quote PugetSoundBoater:

quote fleetwin:

quote Jerry Ahrens:

So i assume that the plastic topped carbs started in ’86? CD ignition did start in 1977.
                  “cheap plastic /rubber stuff that always breaks?wears out”… hope my carb top doesn’t.I was careful to not over tighten the screws.I lack a torque wrench that goes down to 10 In Lbs as the manual states when installing the bowl and carb top.
                  Thanks, Jim PSB

Not to worry, like I said, the designs improved greatly over time. I know you won’t man handle the plastic stuff, so you will have no troubles. Unfortunately, an otherwise bullet proof engine’s image was badly tarnished by poor designs brought about for cost savings….

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.