Home Forum Ask A Member Lauson T653

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant

Finally got to looking at the Lauson T653. Cleaned the carb and set and cleaned the points. The Eiesmann 62d mag coil has leaked most of the tar out of it.
      I have spark, but it’s not alternating (10 second mark in video). That’s not right, is it ?

http://vid635.photobucket.com/albums/uu … xltf1e.mp4

brian
      Participant

Actually it is correct as it fires every turn of the flywheel which means it also fires on each cylinder exhaust stroke. A simple solution for that setup.

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Speaking of same time, Brian and I posted at the same time, but mine didn’t take. But he said it in a whole lot fewer words than I did.

wedgie
          Participant

Ah, I get it 💡 . Thanks !

wedgie
            Participant

Anyone know the initial carb settings, or where to find diagrams/instructions for the T653 ? Carb is Tillotson ya8a

wedgie
              Participant

Well, I got it to fire for a millisecond and promptly sheared the flywheel key. I had noted that the key was showing signs of fatigue, and despite what I thought was adequate torquing, it let go on me.
                picture upload

I see there is one on Ebay that looks similarly worn. Also it is from the S300 motor, so I am uncertain if it is the correct dimensions.

What type of stock can I use to fabricate a replacement ?

frankr
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Nothing fancy. Just steel key stock.
                  http://www.mcmaster.com/#key-stock/=yu643v

wedgie
                  Participant

Thanks again Frank.

Too bad Mcmaster doesn’t deal with Canada. I will check around locally.

brian
                    Participant

After you replace the flywheel key I believe there is a magneto adjustment to set the timing but it’s been years since I worked on one. I will check and see if I have a T600 manual which is the same basic engine design.

brian
                      Participant

Ignition timing

Set points to .020"

Remove cylinder head
                        Turn crankshaft clockwise until breaker arm just starts to open
                        At this point top of piston should be 5/32" from top face of cylinder
                        If out of time, loosen the 2 cap screws holding magneto stator to the bearing plate
                        And move the stator to the right or left until the points just start to open
                        with the piston 5/32" from the top face of cylinder.
                        Fasten screws securely.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.