Home Forum Ask A Member leaking gas tank issue

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I was pouring ammonia into this gas tank to clean it out and the ammonia began leaking out of the rear bottom seam of the tank. it’s leaking about 2 1/2 -3 inches along the seam in both directions from the rear most point of the tank. the dried gas/crud was covering the entire bottom (inside) of the tank to the point I thought maybe it was an old dried up sealer. it was thick, 1/16 -1/8 inch or so. broke some of it up physically and shook lots of it out.

it’s the tank from a 1947 firestone single 3.5 hp. it’s shaped a lot like a Johnson TD-20 tank.

here’s the question. can it be sealed from the outside along the seam? I’d say it’s worth a try at least. if so, what would be appropriate? a 2 part epoxy? gotta find something that’s fuel proof obviously. any suggestions?

another approach would be from the inside. it might be tough to get an epoxy into the affected area. anybody else done it with success?

lastly, I could simply post an ad for another tank. the motor was given to my sons by another member at tomahawk last summer (thanks tom!) so I want them to be responsible for it. they thought cleaning the mag plate was nasty but were amazed to see how clean it got.

let me know what you think.

scott

Doug Wilson
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

might try some caswells tank sealer on the inside it works on pressurized coleman lanterns so should be fine on a tank

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
        turned off?

weedlessdrive
        Participant

Is it steel? Open it up straighten it and braze it back up maybe.

Mumbles
          Participant

What happened to the CR in the background in the first pic?

Brings back memories! Or illusions! Or delusions!

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I think one of the tank sealers such as Kreem will work. You do have to read and follow the instructions. Ooog.

The Boat House
              Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                opposedtwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I believe the tank is steel. does anyone know on these models if that’s true?

I think I will try and solder it. what can it hurt? maybe i’ll solder the outside and seal the inside.

mumbles, my brother-in-law and I killed that bottle many years ago. he started having grande mal seizures years later and my sister insisted he quit the stuff. we still share a taste now and then at family get-togethers. it seems to make them more tolerable. 😆

thanks for the advice guys!

Tom
                  Participant

Yes, the Scott / Firestone tanks are steel. I don’t know whether the tinning is still left on the tank to allow soldering. Unlikely if the tank is rusted through.

For all the work you are going to do, you might consider waiting for a tank from a parts motor. These are not particularly rare.

Tom

jnjvan
                    Participant

Rusty gas tanks are the Achilles heel of the Scott/ Firestones. I have had good results with gas tank liner. I have used electrolysis to clean up as much rust as possible, on the interior of the tank, prior to using the sealer.

John Van

jim-moffatt
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Evapo rust at home depot for $10/qt will clean all rust from inside the tank in about I day at 70F or higher.

An important issue with these tanks is do they leak a the threaded studs?
                        About 1/2 I’ve had did. But any good internal sealer should fix that. BUT motor vibration may open the leaks up again.

If you want to fill the whole tank, a gallon of evaporust is about $35.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.