Home Forum Ask A Member Lean sneezin’ Sportwin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant

I know these motors run lean with the hood off. This one runs lean with the hood on too. I cleaned the carb and reassembled it previously and noted that the (low speed) needle may not be the correct one. Can’t remember what led me to that conclusion, but I made a note of it. CRS again…

Before I take it apart again, I’m wondering if the collected wisdom of the hive has any thoughts on likely spots air might be getting in ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlO3xtyhiz4

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

reeds ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

idle circuit in the carb. or breathing exhaust in the drum.

chris-p
          Participant

The Sportwins have a wide variety of issues, a couple that took me longer than it should have to remedy!

1. The throttle linkage and cam follower adjustment has to be exact! I had one that looked closed, but was not.
            2. I have seen a couple of those carbs that leaked air through the casting, yup, that one took a while to pin point. They can also leak at the throttle shafts, welch plugs, etc…
            3. Obviously, they weren’t meant to breathe exhaust. The grommets if original always need replacing.

chris-p
            Participant

This is what I was referring to, see figure 3-18

Attachments:

Mumbles
              Participant

I’m sure there’s supposed to be a seal of some kind on the mixture screw but ME doesn’t show one. On my 9622 Sportwin I put an appropriate size O ring under the washer and spring to help prevent any air from leaking in.

wedgie
                Participant

Finally got back to this one .

Re evaluating the symptoms made me realize the problem is in fact electrical.. One of the condensers was bad. Silly me for not changing both of them when I serviced it. Too cheap i guess.

So now , when I pulled the fuel line off to run the fuel out of it, just when it started to die, it started spitting mix out the hole at the end of the vent tube center of the picture. A couple good shots. Should there be a plug. Don’t see one in my other Sportwin carb ?

Mumbles, as always,you are right. in my paper copy of the parts manual, the previous owner, (Rolly Stoker) penciled that o ring in .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.