Home Forum Ask A Member Leftover Screws: 1957 Evinrude 5½

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    oldoutboardjim
    Participant

Okay, I replaced the water pump impeller in this motor, which requires removing the powerhead. When I had it all together, I have two screws that don’t have a home (the top two screws in the photo, below; i.e.: the short ones – I know where the other stuff goes). I’m racking my pea brain trying to figure out where they go. Help!

ray-schaber
      Participant

They may be from the vertical shaft that goes from the tiller to mag plate. Holds the guide strips.
        Ray

oldoutboardjim
        Participant
          quote Ray Schaber:

They may be from the vertical shaft that goes from the tiller to mag plate. Holds the guide strips.
          Ray

Thanks for the suggestion, but sorry, these are not for the throttle linkage "Control Lever" "Brg Clamps". I kept those two screws partially screwed into their original locations, and that assembly is complete. These two short screws are for something else.

mr-asa
          Participant

Install new points/condensers with new screws?
            Hold-down screws for the strips that hold the plug wires?

Doug Wilson
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

could those go on the top of the air horns on the carb?

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
              turned off?

david-bartlett
              Participant

The screws that hold the high and low speed stops?

marvk
                Participant

I’m with Doug. If they are not from the throttle’s vertical support bracket, I bet they are from the carb silencer. I just had mine apart last night.

archangel
                  Participant

Add me to the "top of the carb silencer" list. Short screws with the lock washers sure look like the vertical screws for the air intake silencer.

aquasonic
                    Participant

US Member

I think that Mr Asa is on the right track.

Those are Pan Head screws with ’rounded’ sides and star lockwashers which are common on the armature plate. The only other place that I can think of them is on the starter housing mounts, but those are larger, and there are three of them.

The control arm bracket screws and the air intake/silencer screws are usually Fillister Head screws with the ‘square’ sides.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

Sure do look like condenser screws. Or from the clamps & stuff on the bottom of the mag plate. But you didn’t indicate you were into the magneto. Or were you?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.