Lightwin Fuel Filter Issue

Home Forum Ask A Member Lightwin Fuel Filter Issue

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• drifter

Replies: 201
    Topics: 132

I have a 1964 Evinrude Lightwin (model 3402R). Fuel flow from the petcock was near non existent so I removed the petcock assembly from the tank and found no filter attached. Looking a bit closed I discovered the filter (sintered aluminum) still in the tank. It appears the filter broke away from the fuel valve assembly. Was it meant to come out attached to the fuel shutoff valve? If so, and it did beak away, can I tap it back into the tank and shake it out?
    Thanks,
    Drifter

lindy46

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 496
    Topics: 41

They are soldered on and after 56 years it has come loose from the fitting. Is it stuck in the tank or loose?

drifter

It is stuck in the tank. I was thinking I could simply tap it back inside the tank and shake it out.

seakaye12

Replies: 1117
    Topics: 108

Yes that is what I would do. Probably won’t take much to get it detached. You can run an in-line temporarily if you want…..and eventually source a new petcock/filter for the tank. Costco used to sell a branded version of a “Simple-Green” solution that would do a great job of cleaning those sintered filters. I keep hoping they will bring it back.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

You can knock it into the tank and just leave it in there, if you want to. I install a piece of brass filter screen into the adapter fitting that the sintered filter came out of.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

So what was causing the lack of fuel flow??

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Here’a another way to remove the filter.

https://aomci.org/forums/topic/removing-broken-tank-filters-from-omc-three-horse-motors-2/

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

So what was causing the lack of fuel flow??

The old sintered filter crudded into the tank opening—-same thing that tore it loose from the adapter fitting when the fitting was unscrewed. Actually pretty common.

drifter

I got it out but not by tapping it. I had to whack the begeebers out of it using a brass drift and a ball peen hammer. Whacked it 5 or six times. It was totally encrusted with crud about half way up. I had only added a quart of fuel mix so it was never going to flow. I got the filter out and added a small in line (screen) type filter.
    Oddly, the tank is clean as a whistle. I used a flashlight with a 12″ flexible extension to look as far into the tank as possible and what I could see was very clean.
    Thanks again for all of the advise.
    Nick

h20lew

Replies: 51
    Topics: 17

If you decide to go the inline filter route, if you search on Amazon for B009E1MWVG, you’ll find a kind that’s worked well for me on other motors.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-31-at-6.04.47-AM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.