Home Forum Ask A Member lightwins 3hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    backwater52
    Participant

I have 4 lightwins, the one i just picked up (66 or 67 ducktwin folding) has no spark on lower cylinder. My part motor (63 lightwin) has great spark, how hard would it be to change whole stator plate? thanks

Mumbles
      Participant

Real easy. First remove the lower shroud and the starter/gas tank, the flywheel, then undo the four screws holding the mag plate on and lift it off. That’s it. Oh yeah, you will have to undo the spark plug connections to.

backwater52
        Participant

Thanks Mumbles! I have a repair manual somewhere so should be good to go. Only thing else i could use is suggestion on where to to by or brand to get for carb kits parts, there is some junky stuff I’ve found the hard way.

Mumbles
          Participant

I’d stick with an original OMC/BRP carb kit available thru your local BRP or Evinrude dealer. 439071 should be a good P/N and the kits are also available from multiple sources found online.

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

OEM carb kit part number 439071, Includes a new float. Any Evinrude dealer or marineengine.com

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

what is wrong with the mag plate if you are just missing some sparks ??

if the float is ok a good carb clean should do …

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

backwater52
                Participant

Not sure what condition the ignition is in other than no spark on bottom cyl, once i get that firing will get better idea on carb. Adding a inline filter, plus the tank is spotless inside. checked it with a scope my friend has, rinsed it out looks great. Motor was ran last fall by a duck hunter who owned it for awhile. Waiting on carb kits and impellers, should have 3 out of 4 running soon. Got a pile of chores to get done but cant wait to get motors going.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                    backwater52
                    Participant

Well i had some time but worked on the 65 lightwin i had on my work stand. Earlier i did a carb rebuild and it wouldn’t stay running. Wasn’t flooding just seemed to run out of fuel. Took the bowl off and nozzle, needle and float. Sprayed carb cleaner in every hole available and tweaked float angle. Not sure what i did but it’s running smoooth! Started right up And pushed choke off and put it down to idle and just purred. The fixed jet at the bottom “may” have been blocked, not sure but just happy it’s running! Need to replace impeller, no water at all out of the 2 rows of holes so shut it down fast. Ducktwin next.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Great… another one for the kids…to come

I sold 3 of them to a friend’ s buddies & kids for their fishing needs…. all happy campers

great little motors

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.