Home Forum Ask A Member Local mechanic says hang it on the wall

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    A Hoskins
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Your local parts changer says "hang it…." You haven’t found a mechanic yet. "North Florida, south Georgia" constitutes about a 200 mile swath if I remember right. Maybe 4/17 and 4/18 on the Suwanee won’t be possible for you. Plan ‘B’: If you are west of Valdosta maybe I can help or at least get you pointed in the right direction.

"Fox News" isn't.

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Seriously – Come on down …

Even if it is something really serious that can ‘t be fixed on the spot, I can virtually guarantee a good boat ride for your trouble.

On the other hand we have many great and long time Mercury mechanics here that can fix minor glitches in short order.

Green seems to be a favorite color … 😀

. . . . . 🙂

1946zephyr
        Participant

Unfortunately, a lot of mechanics don’t even want to mess with the old motors. Which is fine, because that give us the incentive to learn and enjoy these things. The Mark 25 was a cool little motor back in the day. It sounds like yours just needs an ignition overhaul. Likely, a coil failed when it warmed up

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

oh’ oh’ … how much oil was in the gas? My thoughts exactly.

Joe B

jerry
            Participant

Nice boat! I sold a Merc. like it last year…it ran when it was finished, but the time and cash invested wasn’t worth the effort. Your mechanic is a wise man.

beerman57
              Participant

Pray your spark plug leads are OK, I don’t know if there is an easy way to re-install the mag plate – it took me FOREVER to get everything back right.

reynolds49
                Participant

I have a one… Excellent motor.. Like all Mercs

reivertom
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I learned long ago not to take an old classic or antique motor to a mechanic in a commercial type marina. If you don’t pull up out front with a big rig with a sparkly gel coat and a newer 200hp hanging on the back, you’ll get treated like a burden rather than a customer. If they do take it in, they will charge you more than the motor is worth and if they can’t fix it in 20 minutes they give up. This is the very reason I had to start fixing my own motors in the first place…….It has been this way around here since the 1980s.

scoots
                    Participant
                      quote Randy in Tampa:

Just curious, how much oil did you put in the gas? Also what type of oil did you put in the gas?

Please tell us you mixed the correct amount of oil with the fresh gas. A TCW3 oil at a rate of 25:1, that would be about 5oz. of oil to every gallon of gas.

I ask this, because a former neighbor came home with a smaller used outboard and I let him use my test barrel to get it started and running. While I was working on my motorcycle, I heard the outboard start and then the rpm’s climbed to a screaming pitch and then …. clunk 🙁 It happened so fast that I didn’t have time to yell, "Shut it off!!!" No oil mixed with the gas and the outboard seized – a shame. 🙁

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.