Home Forum Ask A Member Lockwood Chief

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rapier
    Participant

This Lockwood Chief is up for sale here, it’s a 92B. It’s had an honest repair to the cylinder water jackets and is not seized, but I know nothing more about it’s history, or (bar the lack of wiring / ignition) what it might be missing in the way of parts. We’ve valued it at about 120 US. There isn’t the market here vs. the US – primarily due to a lack of freshwater lakes for motor boating and few planing boats of that period, or aluminium boats suitable for such hp. I am tempted to buy it, as I have a few pre-war twins in the 13hp to 22.5hp range, but I think it needs to be a fair price for the owner who needs it gone to a good home.

What are the downsides to owning and using this model and are used parts and cylinders, still available?

stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It looks like it’s going to need quite a a few parts to fully restore it.Parts are not readily available.Just to get it running,who knows?If it has a good coil,that’s one big problem solved.There is a private Lockwood group on Facebook where you’ll get some good advice

The Boat House
        Participant

https://www.enginads.com/otto/

The Boat House
          Participant

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I will mirror what the others have said. I’m still trying to source exhaust parts after having blown mine up while running this fall. Parts are not cheap or easily obtained.

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

rapier
              Participant

Thanks for the advice, is much appreciated. Does it share common parts with any of the pre ’29 models / motors?

stanley
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

As far as I know,only the 82B (1928) model would have parts that would interchange.I might buy that motor just to see if I could get it running.It wouldn’t be an authentic Chief,but that doesn’t make it worthless and it would still be an interesting project.

rapier
                  Participant

I had a similar thought; guess with worst case scenario it can be parted out and the parts sold here to help get someone else on the water.

george-emmanuel
                    Participant

US Member

On a different thought, I like to see how people, years ago, kept motors alive by engineering (tongue in cheek) ways to overcome broken, unavailable parts. There are quite a few Chiefs out there. If that were mine, (and I do have one) I’d restore it with its current modifications. I don’t know who did that exhaust system but whoever did, they did a remarkable job!

George

wbeaton
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have a 28 Chief that will likely get a custom exhaust. Cottage racer style.

Wayne
                        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.