Home Forum Ask A Member Loose brass bushing in magneto plate

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    olcah
    Participant

US Member

Looking at a magneto armature plate removed from a 1954 Johnson 25 HP. (Part no. 580168. As far as I can tell this mag plate fits all the mid fifties OMC motors.) I noticed that the cast in center brass bushing can be moved up and down slightly. Usually when I see this I replace the mag plate but yesterday it occurred to me that the plate is actually screwed down into a ring that will tend to hold the plate in position. If that is so it seems to me that the bushing would be ok even if it is a little loose in the mag plate.

Wonder what others think about using that mag plate as is? Thank you.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

They are so plentiful that I say replace it.

Mumbles
        Participant

Agreed, chuck it and find another one. These style mag plates are pretty much universal but a replacement may need a hole or two drilled and threaded to match the original.

On second thought, the ’54 plate might be a bit different than later plates. A ’54 Evinrude 25 I had used a cable to turn the mag plate. Not sure if the Johnson 25 is the same.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
          olcah
          Participant

US Member

Thank you Frank and Mumbles.

Yes, both 1954 Johnson and Evinrude 25 HP are the same cable set up. The cable runs/connections are made on hardware screwed to the back of the plate so no problem. I will replace as I have done previously.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.