Home Forum Ask A Member making springs from piano wire

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

any hints or special technique to form small springs from .029″ inch piano wire….??

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

The Boat House
      Participant

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

ok good start I’ll try something similar

…I am the proud owner of 660 feet of .029 tempered wired for the price of 1 spring ……. so I can make a few mistakes πŸ™‚

my 9.5hp choke plate needs a new spring

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wire 0.029 is pretty heavy piano wire. What is the proposed spring to be used for? And .. what size spring are you hoping to make?
            As for actually making springs from piano wire, not a problem, just a cold forming process. Of course some trial and error may be involved as there will be considerable “spring back” after forming on whatever mandrel one uses. You will find that the mandrel size will have to be considerable smaller than the desired finished spring size…. trial and error.

Joe B

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Disappeared post

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Try number seven

Moor loops decreases the tension. On some outboards the pawls could drag at a slow idle. The extra turn decreased the tension so the pawls would extend at a slower speed. Of course heavier wire increases tension. – about those old “Simplex” auto rewind starters. – Because of minor variations in sand castings and the fact that the hole a screw goes into must be slightly larger than the screw, the hole in the starter housing is larger than the shaft of the spindle that holds the rope pull in place. This allows the bully to be centered over the crankshaft with a 3/16″ rod. Most starter damage happens when the housing is tightened with the projections on the rope pull pressing on the pawls. The pawls are always extended at rest. So when replacing a starter housing, first pull out the rope. When the housing is resting lightly on the pawls, allow the rope to retort and the projections will drop into place when they slide off the pawls. Then of course the pulley must be centered before the screws are tightened.

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Try number eight

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

try ten

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Eleven

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

JOECB ….when I measured the choke plate return spring on my MQ 9.5hp …..it measured .0255 I did not want to go smaller and .0255 was not available where I looked
                        so I went .029

yes it is a bit bigger …but I am confident I selected a good size that will do the job I need it for .

Thanks for all your replies.

btw if anyone needs .029 spring drop me a PM and I’ll mail some out …for the postage only. I got a few feet to spare πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

mqspring

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by crosbyman.
                        • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.