Home Forum Ask A Member Mark 25 Fuel Issues

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When you pump the bulb, does gas still come out of the carb? Or does it only come out when you’re pulling it over? If it still comes out when you pump the bulb, there is still something wrong with the carb. When you hold the bowl cover in your hand upside down, the two arms should be basically parallel with each other and the gasket surface. If all you did is correct, then maybe the float is heavy and needs to be replaced.

Be advised that when right, old Mercs are often what I call two-pull motors. The first pull with the choke on floods it; the second clears the flood and it starts. If you are pulling it a bunch of times with the choke on, it may be too much.

Make sure you have spark that will jump at least a 1/4" gap in open air. If you don’t have spark, and the carb is okay, eventually you will see some excess fuel come out of the carb throat, with a lot of pulling over in vain.

Long live American manufacturing!

chinewalker
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

You may get a dribble out of the carb when you’re choking the motor. More than that and you have an issue. Is the flow level set correctly? When the cap is inverted, the lower lever (actually on top when inverted) should be dead level. High speed needle should start about 1 turn out. Low speed needle maybe 1.5 turns out.

cheetahgod
        Participant

The seat I replaced was solid brass with a hole and didn’t have the neoprene insert like the old one. Do they both work?

dave-bernard
          Participant

yes they should

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote Cheetahgod:

The seat I replaced was solid brass with a hole and didn’t have the neoprene insert like the old one. Do they both work?

That’s the one you want. The old style with neoprene seat would swell and close up, causing its own fuel problem! I don’t think they even make the old type anymore; although I am sure there is some new old stock out there, somewhere.

Long live American manufacturing!

cheetahgod
              Participant

here is a picture

Attachments:

dave-bernard
                Participant

looks a little high bend the one touching the needle till the top one is level. don’t press it as in the pic just turn it upside down.

cheetahgod
                  Participant

ok i bent it

cheetahgod
                    Participant

bent

Attachments:

dave-bernard
                      Participant

Looks good now.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 45 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.