Home Forum Ask A Member Mark 28

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Pieklik
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Question- Is there a gasket between the gear case and the mid section on a Mark 28? Looks like there should be but don’t see any mention of it in my paperwork. Thanks , Matt.

dave-bernard
      Participant

No gasket.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No gasket but there’s a good size o-ring just above the gear case split, and that’s what seals the water out of the upper and lower gear oil chambers. There is also a water passage between the two. I like to put a small amount of sealant around the outside of this passage. When the boat gets up on plane, that is a passage with negative pressure and is prone inducing air into the water flow.

Long live American manufacturing!

dave-bernard
          Participant

after the pump is primed the motor on plane the seam should be under water and no problem.

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I respectfully disagree about where that seam rides. I have roughly thirty auto-trans motors and look over the back of my little boat all the time. The seam might be in spray but it is not in solid water, at least not on 12 foot boats. Also, auto trans motors are such a pain to do a pump on properly, and the impellers are so susceptible to taking a bad set, that I feel anything I can do to make them last even a bit longer, is well worth it.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.