Home Forum Ask A Member Mark 28 issues

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant

Thanks for the encouragement. I always figure if you guys can do it barehanded then so can I. But then again there’s always that 10 year old that can solve a rubics cube in under a minute.I still cant do it after 30 + years.

I am coming up with a simple jig to hold the block still and support the crank so I can keep both hands free to poke the rings home . On the lookout for a couple of pieces of hardwood.

wedgie
      Participant

Now to find some hardwood scraps. 😉

wedgie
        Participant

Yay !

Thanks everyone for putting me on the right track. I found I had to jiggle and wiggle the piston "just-so" to get the rings to work themselves into the bore. No way to do that without the jig to hold most of the weight.

So now is a good time to ask about the correct orientation of the bottom crank seals. Both facing like this?

IMG_20161108_154459.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments:

20mercman
          Participant

US Member

Glad to see you got them in. Like I said, my confidence was high! 😉 The 26-16977 is the replacement seal. They are double lip seals. I can’t tell from your photo if these are double seals or not. I always install those as original with the open end of the seal facing the retainer, so in other words the other way. Your old seals will have witness marks on them from the retainer.

Steve

wedgie
            Participant

Glad I asked Steve. Thanks. I will have a close look and see if they are double seals.

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Seal lips face down.

Long live American manufacturing!

wedgie
                Participant
                  quote BillW:

Seal lips face down.

Thank you Bill , and thanks to everyone, it’s back together with a few dollars in parts from Joe Poole. I used permatex anaerobic flange sealant. I shimmed the gearcase by feel, so I hope I got it right. Now that it’s running I will have to follow up on the starter recoil.

http://vid61.photobucket.com/albums/h57 … jzqurp.mp4

Mumbles
                  Participant

That motor sounds great Wedgie! How long since it last ran and how did you like the sealer?

david-bartlett
                    Participant

Very nice. I have a Mark 10 that I will be starting on soon. Very cool motors.

wedgie
                      Participant
                        quote Mumbles:

That motor sounds great Wedgie! How long since it last ran and how did you like the sealer?

I had it running at least 5-6 years ago, but the case leaked, so I put it away until recently. The sealer is easier to work with than the scotchgrip as it is not as stringy/sticky when applying it. Gave it more than a week to cure because the test tank was frozen solid.

I think today I will pop in some Atom modules and see if that will improve the idle.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.