Home Forum Ask A Member Mark 28, new thread

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant

Decided to start a new thread on putting the powerhead back together.

This torque spec chart from the Merc manual doesn’t have a value for the crankcase to cylinder block for the Mark 28 etc, or am I just not reading it right. I will assume since it is a 5 1/16 bolt and nut it is 150 in lbs ?

And I will also guess this is a double lip seal .

Which way is up ? the notch on the top or the bottom. Took it apart without making note of the notch some years ago

Does anyone have the dimensions , or cross reference for part number 25-25429 "o" ring , crankcase fastening screw. I have one that might work, but seems it may be too thick…or maybe not. Tried to get one locally ,but nope.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

the nut should start a few turns with your finger.

wedgie
        Participant

Thanks Dave and mercaholic.

Can’t find this circled part in the Mark 28 parts list though it is referenced in the service manual as "sleeve, protector- crankshaft . I thought I should replace the o ring as it is a little scarred so could use a part number to make it easy . Might be an addition from a later powerhead ? I’ll have to find some manuals to the later 20hp models .

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I know that omission on the chart is a mistake and it would seem that 150 in lbs is right. Do what you want and I am sure you will; but I have torqued a lot of crank cases and find that the 150 rating will sometimes strip out the nut or bolt. I like 120 inch pounds and don’t have any problems. This is right between grade five and grade two bolts, as shown in this chart:

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-info … orque.aspx

Edit: And yes, my torque wrenches get checked.

Long live American manufacturing!

wedgie
            Participant

Thanks Bill. Sometimes I do what I want if I’m allowed to 😉

I’ve noticed a few typo’s and pictures swapped around in the service manual . I will take your advice !

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wedgie,
                nice build! You will enjoy the power with the 200 block. Be sure to get the crankcase o-ring correct. Then Enjoy!!
                Jeff

wedgie
                Participant

Day off today, so back to the Mark 28 re assembly with parts from Joe Poole Jr.

Reading the pre 1965 manual, it says set the reed stops to 5/32 0r, .1562, but it doesn’t tell me how. it also says to set the reeds so there is no "pre load" with a maximum gap of .007 . When looking closely at the reeds, some are sitting tight to the center main bearing (with a light film of oil sticking them down). Again, this powerhead has been opened before I got it, so I’m proceeding carefully.

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.