Home Forum Ask A Member Martin 100 ST Model mishap

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mercuryman
    Participant

Yesterday I ran my Martin for the first time on a boat on small river in North Fla. When I got boat on plane I noticed tiller would jerk when you turned. Then I made a high speed run up to 20 mph slowed some to turn and the tiller was yanked out of my hand . The motor was now sideways running 3/4 speed and it twisted and came off the boat. If I had the presents of mine I should of pressed the speed control on tiller handle, but I am new to using this motor. If you look at lower unit there is about 1 inch or more in front of pivot point. This could cause the violent reaction in turn. My boat is semi v plywood and I have run a Mark 25 wide open with no problem. Now the good part after I came out of shock I looked behind and marked the spot it came off by a Cypress tree I was about 20 feet out from it. I marked the tree with a knife and headed home. Stop’s at friends home and ask if had grapple hook . We went back to river in his larger boat . Went to the spot I marked, the water was over 10 feet deep and very dark. After a short time I hooked the motor and pulled it in. The steering handle bracket was broken and nothing seem to be wrong with motor after I cleared it of water.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by mercuryman.
      outboardnut
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

WOW glad you got it back!

Buccaneer
        Participant

I’ve always hoped to find a complete Martin 100…….. guess I should start
          dragging the rivers! Glad you were able to retrieve it!
          My brother lost a Zephyr off the back of the boat in the 70’s,
          and retrieved it……… I’ve only threw one in the water to put
          the fire out, lol.

Prepare to be boarded!

squierka39
          Participant

I doubt it is the shape of the lower unit, lots of them have the nose forward often pivot point, this actually helps some in turning. Maybe your tiller was already cracked and caused the problems? Hopefully you figure it out.

The Boat House
            Participant

mercuryman
              Participant

Now I am thinking the handle bracket broke first. I looked at broken edge and three sides were bright looking and on one corner the crack was dirty looking. Everything happened so fast I not sure if handle jerked out of my hand, but I know I lost control.

mercuryman
                Participant

I just got off the phone with Russ Larson ( Martin Man) and he is looking around for Steering Handel Bracket said they are hard to find because so many break. I may have to settle for welded one he said.

RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

So do you have a picture of exactly what broke on your motor?

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                    classicomctools@gmail.com

RICHARD A. WHITE
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Looking thru my hard copy of the Martin master manual, it seems there are 2 different parts depending on which model motor you have.
                      The number you posted in your want add is listed as the standard motor and not the twist shift. Is this correct?
                      Again, a picture is worth a thousand words here, as I think one of the motors has a black tiller grip and the other has a red.
                      Let me know as I may have a spare…depending on what it is exactly that you have..

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                      classicomctools@gmail.com

mercuryman
                      Participant

Steering handle bracken photos. The first pix shows dirty crack line top and bright sides and bottom. A pin through the small holds the bracket to front of motor block.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Mumbles.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.