Home Forum Ask A Member Martin 40

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

Continuing project. I made a new gasket for the carb yesterday but it still leaked if I open the valve completely up. It seems the solution is to not open the valve completely. If I open it an 1/8 – 1/4 it doesn’t leak and seems to run fine. The lower carb needle continues to drip and is so loose it vibrates open. Ideas?

How would I best go about reinstalling the pull rope?

bullie
      Participant

Also, will this motor cool well in a barrel? Seems to heat up pretty hot. I ran it for about 10 minutes yesterday and it got to the 180s. I am not very familiar with this type of water pump so it might be ok if it were on a boat.

dougs-outboards
        Participant

Bullie,

The way I install a starter rope, (assuming the spring is still good), is to wind the starter counterclockwise by hand several turns, each time pinching the reel with my finger to hold it in place each turn, take a "C" clamp and tighten it firmly but carefully pinching the starter casing and reel so it will not unwind, making sure you can see the hole where the rope comes out and it is lined up with the front of the rewind where the rope comes out, install the whole rope thru to the end knot (from the center of the reel out), and then slowly let the recoil recoil, sucking the rope inside. I usually do a 1/2 hitch on the end of the rope so it does not suck the whole rope inside.

Hope this helps and good luck! This works on OMC starters, hopefully it will work on the Martin too.

The Boat House
          Participant

Both leaks seem to be packing issues.
            A few wraps of cotton string works well
            if you have nothing else. Often find it
            in outboards from the 20’s 30′ & 40’s.

Impellers are $18.00 plus shipping.
            Check with him before ordering as prices
            are not up to date.
            http://martinoutboards.com/price-list/

bullie
            Participant

Thanks guys. Great info on the rewind. I believe the spring is fine. The rope broke at the knot.

Tubs, the string fix thingy I have read before and it just slipped my mind. Thanks. I see I also have the wrong starter knob. LOL

bullie
              Participant

Well, I figured the cooling issue out. Carb is still leaking from up high and still dripping some from the needle even after a bit of string.

bullie
                Participant

Got a new shipment in from Larson’s today. New pump rotor and pull cord knob among other things. I am not familiar at all with this type of water pump. I took a picture of what I assume is the exit for water leaving the pump. It appears to be totally clogged but I wanted to check with people that know before I start poking holes in things.

bullie
                  Participant

Finally got this one going tonight at about 9:15. I got excited enough to get the wife off her chair and outside to see it run. It got a bunch of new parts and it’s running good and running cool. I need to adjust the carb a little more but I think the off and on battle with the little Martin is finally drawing to a close.

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

Congratulations on getting it running. It’s always a good
                      feeling when they actually run "good"
                      Last time I told my wife I got an outboard running,
                      after working on it for a month, she said, with no
                      enthusiasm "I know, I was trying to take a nap"!

Prepare to be boarded!

bullie
                      Participant
                        quote Buccaneer:

Congratulations on getting it running. It’s always a good
                        feeling when they actually run “good”
                        Last time I told my wife I got an outboard running,
                        after working on it for a month, she said, with no
                        enthusiasm “I know, I was trying to take a nap”!

Sometimes wives just don’t understand.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.