Home Forum Ask A Member May have screwed up ..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Phelps
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I feel like an such an idiot .. Ok so I have my motor apart for painting . Carb is off so I didn’t want anything to get into the crank case . So stuffed a rag in the port and taped it up where the gasket seats . .
      Long story short I untapped the flywheel from the timing ring to shine it up before putting the tank on . I had forgotten that the rag was in the port and big dumb -ss me turned the flywheel to get a better position for polishing .. well of coarse it grabbed the rag and pull some into the crank case . It was a very thin rag and I was able to unwind and pull pieces out . I really have no clue if any bits of rag are in there or not . Man I tell ya I’m about at wits end ..LOL !
      Any thoughts good or bad are appreciated..

Mumbles
      Participant

Wouldn’t the reed plate prevent the rag from getting into the crankcase?

Don’t feel bad as I always stick a paper towel up the exhaust when storing a powerhead. On one motor after a rebuild, I noticed the water wasn’t coming out the exhaust relief very well. After a little while it cleared itself out but then I noticed all this shredded paper towel in the test drum water. Yup, forgot to remove the paper towel and now it had to come all apart again to make sure the water passages were clear.

Samuel Phelps
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

https://i0.wp.com/www.walagata.com/w/chapsboy/PartsBooks/48_22HPpg2.jpg?w=885&ssl=1
          Not really sure where it could have possibly gotten to .

5C2EFE20-F3DA-4721-A9CE-8CD6365FCD11

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I wouldn’t think enough material would have gotten in the crankcase to do any damage,
            and what fragments are in there, should work their way out or disintegrate trying
            to get out.

Prepare to be boarded!

Samuel Phelps
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks this makes me feel a little better..
              We are under evac orders now so we are heading west ..
              Hurricanes are exhausting !

frankr
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I wouldn’t think enough material would have gotten in the crankcase to do any damage,

and what fragments are in there, should work their way out or disintegrate trying

to get out.

Ah, a rotary valve, not a reed plate. I agree with buccaneer. If a bit did manage to enter the valve it should have gotten sheared off and will pass on through with no problem. As long as it isn’t jammed in the valve. A visual look-see as you turn the shaft should suffice.

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

From the crankcase opening, either a Speeditwin or the rare model 9039 Heavy Duty Twin which uses the Speeditwin carburetor. A Speeditwin once ate 6″ off the strap on his life jacket with no apparent dammage.

Samuel Phelps
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks guys ! I’ll try not to shove the pull start rope or anything in there again …

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.