Home Forum Ask A Member Maybe Quitting Selling Coils

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    oldoutboardjim
    Participant

The coil business seems to be slowing down, and I recently learned that the manufacturer of the Bendix & Phelon coils (Andover) was purchased by Standard Products, and currently is not producing either of these coils. And, of course, the best OMC coil (Prufrex) was discontinued over a year ago. That might leave me with the Sierra OMC coils only. I’m wondering if it is worth it to continue selling these. I still have stock of OMC, Bendix, & Phelon, but am thinking of ending when I run out of stock. It’s been a great run for the past 20 years, and I have served many loyal customers.
      Your thoughts?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

I guess the alternative is building our own – If you reuse the laminations, All it takes is a clean room, a coil winder, casting machine, vacuum chamber and a carefully person who works cheep. That looks like the Chinese made Seara coils might be made to fit. OMC still has the best laminations. . . 🙄

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Sierra coils are available everywhere. Can you really compete?

outboardnut
          Participant

I THINK Russ Larson uses these guys for coils
            http://www.standardmagneto.com/index.html

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Standard Magneto doesn’t carry OMC coils. They do have parts for Wico, etc. Best price on Sierra coils I found – $16,50 ea. in lots of 20 from Proropshop which has complaints about poor communication and selling aftermarket parts that don’t fit. They also charge a 15% restocking fee on returns. The highest price on a single coil was $75. . . 🙄

jw-in-dixie
              Participant

I have an ’04 T bird which are famous for bad coils, so I bought 8 of these for spares. If you have a motor that the coils still have good primaries, I think you could use these to get it going. Or add a small battery for the primary. Have a good-running Mark 20 using motorcycle coils and a mower battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-COIL-Ford-Thunderbird-2002-2005-Jaguar-S-Type-1999-2003-LincolnLS-20-06-/332064376954?hash=item4d5094487a:g:0zoAAOSw241YVBzV&vxp=mtr

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

I don’t understand. How are they mounted? how are they wired? 🙄
                  \

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Garry,
                    Let me see if I can get this right. Only need a bad factory coil, As you know secondary’s go first. Why not use the bad coil for primary power & feed another external type mount that has a good secondary winding. It does work!!

outboardnut
                    Participant

jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Why put it on the club? How about you? That’s what it boils down to,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 35 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.