Home Forum Ask A Member Maybe Quitting Selling Coils

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jim,
      I have purchased probably 20+ coils from you over the years. Never bought any from another place. Since i have been in this hobby you have been my go to guy for coils and i’ve sent many others your way. I agree with others above. If you enjoy it and can make a little money doing it, then i would say keep on truckin’. If not, please consider mentoring another club member along so we will continue to have a source for the coils.
      Regardless of your decision, i offer a very sincere thank you for all you’ve done for this club and for outboard enthusiasts over the past many years. Hope to see you at Tomahawk in a couple weeks!
      Scott Braaten

rmhxruss
      Participant

Has any one out there use the coils from CDI in Alabama. They sell 183-4477 to fit OMC outboards. Did talk to them last year and sales of this part number are not huge but they will still sell them if demand keeps up. This is one of the parts that they do not make in house. Think they said Taiwan which is better than China.

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I sure hate to see the Bendix coils become unavailable.. Jim, are you coming to Tomahawk, and if so, will you have any Bendix coils for sale? Also sad to see the Prufex coils go away. If I’d have known that, I would have stocked up. I can order the Sierra ones myself, but my distributor has also changed over to the Chinese stuff. They do throw a really good spark though, but the laminations are poorly made and don’t fit well.

phil-b
          Participant

Maybe old, cracked OMC coils will become valuable: There’s good iron in them coils!

oldoutboardjim
            Participant

My apologies to everyone for not replying. I had a death in the family (sister), and I’m still recovering from several days in LA for the funeral.
              On the positive side, I am in a wonderful relationship after being alone for 3½ years. But that too takes time – which I am happy to give!
              Anyway, thank you to everyone for their kind words and support over these many years. Here’s what I’m thinking:
              – Phelon & Bendix coils are NLA, although I still have a supply.
              – The best OMC coil (Prufrex) was discontinued over a year ago (I’m pretty much out of these, but still have the Sierra OMC coils).
              – Overall coil sales have been dwindling.
              – I got into coil sales over 20 years ago as a service to the club, and my goal is to continue that to the end. I didn’t lose money, but I didn’t make a killing either. Let’s just say that coil sales allowed me the luxury of buying an occasional Happy Meal at McDonalds. Anyway, I will not change my pricing to take advantage of these scarce coils, but I will limit quantities so everyone gets a chance to get some.
              – I sold 98% of my collection last year. It’s time for others to enjoy these fine motors.
              – No, I am not going to Tomahawk, although I will greatly miss the people and the camaraderie.
              – I think I will throw in the towel and quit coil sales when I run out of my current inventory. Everything ends eventually. It’s time.
              Again, many, many thanks to everyone who has supported me these many years!

Steve A W
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jim
                I just want to say thanks for what you’ve done for the
                club and the coils I bought from you.
                I also want to tell you I first ran an outboard powered
                boat on your lake.
                When I was in grade school my buddy’s family had a
                cottage on the west side of the lake. I spent a month
                with his family there in 1974 .
                Their last name is Galagher.
                Were you around there back then?

Thanks again.
                Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                I live in Northwest Indiana

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jim,
                  Understood, only too well! Enjoy brother & have some fun!!!! It changes a guy huh!
                  Jeff

rjoynt
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Enjoy! I too have bought from you and had a great experience.
                    Thanks!

bjensen64
                    Participant

I may be looking for a couple of Bendix coils for a CC Challenger….

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote oldoutboardjim:

My apologies to everyone for not replying. I had a death in the family (sister), and I’m still recovering from several days in LA for the funeral.
                        On the positive side, I am in a wonderful relationship after being alone for 3½ years. But that too takes time – which I am happy to give!
                        Anyway, thank you to everyone for their kind words and support over these many years. Here’s what I’m thinking:
                        – Phelon & Bendix coils are NLA, although I still have a supply.
                        – The best OMC coil (Prufrex) was discontinued over a year ago (I’m pretty much out of these, but still have the Sierra OMC coils).
                        – Overall coil sales have been dwindling.
                        – I got into coil sales over 20 years ago as a service to the club, and my goal is to continue that to the end. I didn’t lose money, but I didn’t make a killing either. Let’s just say that coil sales allowed me the luxury of buying an occasional Happy Meal at McDonalds. Anyway, I will not change my pricing to take advantage of these scarce coils, but I will limit quantities so everyone gets a chance to get some.
                        – I sold 98% of my collection last year. It’s time for others to enjoy these fine motors.
                        – No, I am not going to Tomahawk, although I will greatly miss the people and the camaraderie.
                        – I think I will throw in the towel and quit coil sales when I run out of my current inventory. Everything ends eventually. It’s time.
                        Again, many, many thanks to everyone who has supported me these many years!

Jim,
                        First of all I’m very sorry for your loss.
                        I’m also sorry to hear you are getting out of selling coils. I do, however, understand. I’m happy that I got the chance to meet you last year at Tomahawk and also for everything you have done for the club and for so many members during the time you have done this. I have bought coils from you also and everything has been a pleasure. Thank you again also for the parts and stuff you left to me last year along with the motors I bought from you. I have gotten quite a lot of use out of that stuff as well as passed along a few items to other club members that needed something. Best of luck to you in everything. I’ll miss seeing you at Tomahawk this year as much as you’ll miss seeing everyone there. Hope to keep seeing you on the boards.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 35 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.