Home Forum Ask A Member McCulloch Ted Williams Fans

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    1-old-outboard
    Participant

I have been messing with this little Ted Williams 7.5 motor for a while. It is a bail O matic, with the pumps on the lower unit. I put one new impeller in the bottom cartridge and left the top one out, with no need of the bailer. Looked like it was pumping well in the barrel, but I didn’t rev it hard. I gave it back to the elderly gent. (I am doing this as a favor). He was out 20 minutes and over heated it. Water pumps were gone when he asked me to help him, it didn’t look too discolored at the head. Suggestion was made to pull head gasket. I did, and it was not in wonderful shape. I touched up the head to flatten it out and found a new head gasket. Cleaned all the water passages while it was off tower. There is a allen screw in the top of the head leading to the head water passage at top. Everything re-assempled and off the the test tank. Starts great idles down great. I remove allen screw and water is coming out of head like a small spring. As I slowly start to rev it, the water starts to sputter, at about half throttle, it disappears into the head completely. I would think more water with more rev’s. Water is spurting out mid section at low throttle. When water is lost at allen screw, the head starts to get hot there. Head’s flat,, new head gasket, what am I missing? Thoughts most appreciated.
      Randy

Mumbles
      Participant

If you removed the bailer side impeller, high pressure exhaust gases could be finding their way thru the empty cavity into the cooling impeller side.

My ’56 Scott Atwater was running a bit hot and letting exhaust gases and water out both the bailer intake and outlet nipples after removing the one impeller. To seal it up, I threaded the inlet and outlet for a pipe plug and epoxied an aluminum plug into the empty cavity. Now it pumps like a fire truck and the steps I took to seal it can be reversed if I ever find an impeller for it.

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yeah, I have to agree with mumbles’ observation. Just leaving the bailer out in itself is not a good idea.

1-old-outboard
          Participant

Thanks Frank and Mumbles, I see a connection there with the back pressure. It never dawned on me.
            Randy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.