Home Forum Ask A Member MD-38 carburetor questions

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

US Member

The sleeve is spring loaded to seal against the throttle plate when it turns. If it’s stuck, you’ll likely be leaking air after the throttle plate. A little heat and some penetrating oil should loosen it up.

T

1 user thanked author for this post.
      lloyd
      Participant

US Member

Sorry Scott. I still have an MD38 and Jay Walls has my other one, but it’s been so long since i worked on them that I cannot remember all the details. What i do remember is that they are a high compression motor. Should have about 110-120 psi to run right. Explains why Billw and Buccaneer had trouble with their motors.

The Boat House
        Participant

opposedtwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks guys. I never bothered checking compression since it ran but after I get the carb back together i’ll run it a bit and get numbers. I’d be surprised if it’s 100-120 but ya never know. Actually i can check it without the carb on it so i’ll report back soon.
            Scott

Ian Eichholz
            Participant

It’s probably been thirty years since I had my MS-39 apart, which is similar; so I don’t remember many details about the inner workings. I do remember that it was pretty hard to get going, even with new-at-the-time rings. I also remember that it would not even fart unless the initial setting on the carb was set at exactly 5/8 of a turn out….

Do any of you fellas know where a guy could get piston rings for these engines?

The Boat House
              Participant

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by seakaye12.
                • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                The Boat House
                Participant

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.