Home Forum Ask A Member Merc 110 Tiller Shaft

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    slim60
    Participant

My ’63 Merc 110 has a broken tiller shaft. Can someone tell me how to change it?

Eric McNett
      Participant

which part of the shaft is broken? In the tiller handle or on the motor side.

Eric McNett
        Seattle AOMCI Member

slim60
        Participant

It’s on the motor side close to the gear.

slim60
          Participant

Well, I was hoping someone would tell me this was possible without pulling the power head. There are two nuts visible under the pan. I should just get off the computer and do it tonight, look for parts tomorrow.

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I never had a white one but it sure looks to me like you are supposed to remove the tiller handle, take out one screw and withdraw the shaft out from where the tiller mounts….Looks to me like that gear next to the power head, and the shaft (they call it a “socket) it is attached to, stays in the cowl…

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/110/1470349-thru-1865778/steering-handle-assembly

Long live American manufacturing!

20mercman
              Participant

US Member

I probably have the parts you need Slim. I am in Kenosha also, we met at the Silver Lake meet previously.

Steve

slim60
                Participant

billw; If you’re referring to part #19, I took it out and do not see what it does. If I could remove the upper shift rod the pan would slide back giving access to the nuts holding the tiller mount to the transom bracket. PH and LU are removed.

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If it’s like some of my black small Mercs, (and it sure looks like it is) #19 is a single screw, who’s edge just overlaps the edge of a bushing. That bushing is part of the throttle shaft assembly, that should now pull straight out. Admittedly, sometimes that bushing can be a real fight to pull out. You can latch onto the “paddle” part of the linkage with vise grips and pry on the vise grips with a screw driver. #18, which seems to be the part you’re describing as broken, should pull out. You shouldn’t need to have to pull the pan or the tiller support bracket, which is a much more major operation.

Long live American manufacturing!

slim60
                    Participant

Thanks billw. It pulled out. The end looks rough. Should it be square?

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by slim60.
                      dave-bernard
                      Participant

US Member

yes it is square

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.