Home Forum Ask A Member Merc 115hp Water Pump

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

Dropping the gearcase on a early 90s 115hp Merc tomorrow.

I always forget, do you shift into forward, or reverse before dropping it? Or am I thinking of another model here? I believe this model has the shaft style shift rod. Nothing to disconnect, you simply have it in a certain gear to lower or install the gearcase correct?

Thanks.

20mercman
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

They will drop in any gear, but I find it is easier to have it in forward when you take it apart, as you know where you are when going back together. You can also spin the prop to move the drive shaft splines to aid alignment. It is just a matter of getting the water tube, shift shaft and drive shaft all aligned at the same time. Really not that big of a deal.

Steve

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Forward is the factory-recommended way. However, my two cents is that I like neutral better. There is a lot of possible radial movement in forward, on the gear case side of things; whereas in neutral, things tend to stay more lined up, in my opinion. I have done many, many of them that way but do what you want. Whatever you do, DO check that it works, before you go launching the boat at the public ramp.

Long live American manufacturing!

chris-p
          Participant

Great, thanks both!

Ill get the old tower of gas consumption on the water this week.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.