Home Forum Ask A Member Merc 39 oil seal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    KENNETH BROWN
    Participant

Can someone help me find the tool needed to remove the nut holding the oil seal in place on a mercury 39. I could also use some advise getting the seal out.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by KENNETH BROWN.
      A Hoskins
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think a little more explanation is in order. I am wracking my brain to imagine a seal held in place by a nut. I’m not even gonna venture a guess. Help me out here.

"Fox News" isn't.

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I think he is talking about the carrier nut behind the prop.

KENNETH BROWN
          Participant

It is 2 I/4 inch round nut with four slots to put a tool in loosen or tighten. This nut holds the bearing carrier assembly in place.

A Hoskins
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ah Ha, that “nut”. I made the tool to do the job. I cut a 2-1/4″ (approximate) diameter disk out of 1/8″ flat stock and ground away the circumference to make the four “teeth”. Then I drilled a hole in the center and attached a 12″ long handle to it, also 1/8″ flat stock. With the tool in place, put a sleeve over the prop shaft and the prop nut on the end to keep the tool from rising. Be aware that the “nut” is left hand thread. If I remember right, Merc 39,40, 60, 75 and 110 all used basically the same lower unit.

"Fox News" isn't.

KENNETH BROWN
              Participant

Thanks Would you be interested in selling the tool or letting me use it. I live in La Grange IL

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by KENNETH BROWN.
                A Hoskins
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sorry, neither option has any appeal. Perhaps you could search out an A.O.M.C. member/Mercury person closer to home. Even a professional mechanic might be willing to do this simple task for a minimal fee, like a six-pack.

"Fox News" isn't.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.