Home Forum Ask A Member Merc-o-tronic repair help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    foodclub
    Participant

Hi all,

Have a Merc-o-Tronic 98. All of the coil test procedures work fine. However, none of the condenser tests work. Seems, when you press the red button for any of the tests, including indexing the meter to the right, NOTHING happens. I have no electronic skills. Is there anyone here that can fix them, or is there anyplace to go to get them fixed?

Thanks!

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

solid failures are sometimes the easiest to fix…

try to look for any blown fuses…. broken wires …… bad/defective push switched

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

debe
        Participant

If this is the same circuit board, then check for 5V dc on pin 8 of the NE555 ic as shown for a start.

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Mine has the same problem. I didn’t know at the time that you can’t have the 6VDC and 120VAC plugged in at the same time.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

foodclub
            Participant
              quote debe:

If this is the same circuit board, then check for 5V dc on pin 8 of the NE555 ic as shown for a start.

Nope, No Circuit Board. 🙁

foodclub
              Participant
                quote wbeaton:

Mine has the same problem. I didn’t know at the time that you can’t have the 6VDC and 120VAC plugged in at the same time.

Hmmm… Interesting and raises a number of questions. BTW, I tried both ways (DC and no DC).

Does plugging in the unit while there is a battery connected damage the unit?
                Seems odd that the battery goes in the unit and you screw the lid down, but to use the condenser test, you have to take battery out to plug it in?
                Didn’t see anything in the manual that indicated that you had to take battery out. Where did you learn this?

Thanks for the help!

Mumbles
                Participant

My 98 uses a 7.5 volt power supply mounted inside the case and tapped into the main supply line. The switch on the left chooses which power source to use. Also, check your indicator light bulb as I believe it might be wired in series in the 7.5 volt system.

foodclub
                  Participant
                    quote Mumbles:

My 98 uses a 7.5 volt power supply mounted inside the case and tapped into the main supply line. The switch on the left chooses which power source to use. Also, check your indicator light bulb as I believe it might be wired in series in the 7.5 volt system.

Thanks! Have the original spec 7.5v alkaline. The indicator bulb and the vibrator work fine (DC). On setting 1 and 2, everything checks out. I believe that switch setting 1 and 2 use DC and 4,5,6 us AC, so that would be accurate (switch on the left chooses which power to use).

Search continues!

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The NE555 has been around forever

wbeaton
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                        quote foodclub:

Hmmm… Interesting and raises a number of questions. BTW, I tried both ways (DC and no DC).

Does plugging in the unit while there is a battery connected damage the unit?
                        Seems odd that the battery goes in the unit and you screw the lid down, but to use the condenser test, you have to take battery out to plug it in?
                        Didn’t see anything in the manual that indicated that you had to take battery out. Where did you learn this?

Thanks for the help!

I think the issue is related to trying to perform the tests with two power supplies connected. Its not in the manual. Someone more knowledgeable in electronics and Merc-o-tornics told me about it on this board years ago. Perhaps I’ll see if I can fix mine this winter.

Wayne
                        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.