Merc 10 hp Looper

Home Forum Ask A Member Merc 10 hp Looper

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• jim-moffatt

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 225
    Topics: 33

Does anyone know what years and models Mercury made a 10 hp loop charged 2-cycle motor?

sedover

Replies: 18
    Topics: 6

I can’t think of one.

The smallest non outsourced looper I can think of is the 25 and it’s variants (18/20) that replaced the Mercury 200 (20 hp) of the 60’s and early 70’s.

The Mariner (Yamaha) 2hp was a looper back in the 80’s and 90’s as is the Mercury 4/5 (Tohatsu) of the 90’s and up until the 2 strokes were dropped. If any other loopers were in the Mercury/Mariner line it would have to be from one of these Japanese suppliers.

Anyone else?

Steve

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

I will also stick my neck out and say that I know of no domestically produced 10 hp-range Mercury loopers. I did discover that there appears to be a 9.9 Mercury of Japanese origin, probably Tohatsu based, that appears to be a looper….

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercu … cting-rods

Another great stretch of the imagination would be that, although I know little about them, there were apparently some small Chrysler loopers, that may have carried all the way into Force, when Mercury owned them? I guess my question to you, Jim, is why do you ask?

Long live American manufacturing!

jim-moffatt

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 225
    Topics: 33

Just my curiosity. That link is definitely for a looper. The flat top pistons are the clincher. Notice also it doesnt have the center crank reed block.

billw

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, that is a fairly modern engine. I am 99 9/10% sure it came from the Tohatsu factory. But hey, it qualifies as a 10 hp Mercury looper, technically speaking. Lol.

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

I think the ke4 and mark 7 were looper but they were 7 1/2 hp late 1940’s early 1950’s.

billw

US Member - 2 Years

They had a bit of a different intake path for sure; but I would call them cross flow, myself. They had conventional ports and conventional looking domed piston tops. I remember having one of them all apart, one time….

RICK EICHRODT

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 267
    Topics: 79

I believe the only "loopers" that were assembled with some Mercury parts were the Quincy Loopers built strictly for racing. They only used the crank, front case and other small parts. They manufactured their own cylinders, pistons and exhaust manifolds. If I am wrong I am sure the power that know will totally throttle me!

chinewalker

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 459
    Topics: 15
    quote Dave Bernard:

I think the ke4 and mark 7 were looper but they were 7 1/2 hp late 1940’s early 1950’s.

Nope. They were traditional cross flow design. The first American built mass produced loopers were the OMC triples beginning in 1968. Mercury’s first loopers were the 1750 V6s of the 1970s.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.