Home Forum Ask A Member Mercotronic 98

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Okay, so I hate to ask all the same questions; but I just picked up a Merc-o-tronic Model 98, for the first time. (I have been using a Stevens.) Is there a user’s guide with manufacturer specs available? What is the purpose of the 7.5 V battery if it has a 120V plug? And I know I should know the answer to this by now; but what are you guys using for a battery? Thanks!

Long live American manufacturing!

oldlure
      Participant

US Member

It is here members only, inner sanctum, old iron reference, manuals

https://aomci.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Merc-O-Tronic-ilovepdf-compressed.pdf

foot_doctor
        Participant

US Member

The 7.5 volt battery was meant to be used for the coil power, coil continuity, and resistance tests. They require DC current. It can be replaced with a 7.2 volt rechargeable drill battery. The 120 volt AC circuits are meant for capacitor tests. Neither power will do all tests. I use a 7.5 volt DC wall-wart for my 98. R.T.

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

you can get remote controlled RC toys 7.2 volt battery with charger on Ebay for $20.00 or less.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by dave-bernard.
            billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 7.5 volt battery was meant to be used for the coil power, coil continuity, and resistance tests. They require DC current. It can be replaced with a 7.2 volt rechargeable drill battery. The 120 volt AC circuits are meant for capacitor tests. Neither power will do all tests. I use a 7.5 volt DC wall-wart for my 98. R.T.

Thanks guys. So, I am assuming a wall wart is an AC/DC converter or transformer, like a phone charger or the like? Do we know the minimum amp output requirement for such a device? I understand the 7.5 volt part. I think I like that idea a little better than having a Chinese lithium battery in the house, for what little use it will get..

Edit: The most amps I see available on eBay is 2 amps. Doesn’t seem like much….

Boy, when you take the original battery out of the machine, there is nothing to it! I mean, my Stevens is about twice the size, has old glass tubes in it and is really built.

My 98’s dial plastic is a bit faded too. I was going to try headlight restorer on it. Any ideas there? Thoughts?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by billw.
              billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It is here members only, inner sanctum, old iron reference, manuals

https://aomci.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Merc-O-Tronic-ilovepdf-compressed.pdf

Now THAT’S A book! Thanks for that!

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Okay, this seems to be a Ni Cad so I feel better. It has +5 amps and coil specs don’t seem to need more than 3. Maybe I am over simplifying; but I bought this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-2V-volt-5300mAh-Ni-Mh-rechargeable-battery-pack-RC-Tamiya-Plug-Charger/323701161484?hash=item4b5e17be0c:m:mr9ZL3Q0COWFUL5O_8O9tLA

RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

I am working on a conversion to use a 7.5 volt DC laptop power supply instead of a battery.

Quick and simple to install. The laptop power supply plugs directly into a connector like this.
                    https://www.amazon.com/2-1mm-5-5mm-Female-Power-Adapter/dp/B003MHUN7S

Mount this inside your case, connect the positive and negative wire that would normal go to the battery to this connector, then plug in the power supply like this: I will get the proper part number this evening.

And you will NEVER need to worry about an uncharged battery.

FYI… Mercotronic sold a unit as an accessory to do just this… I can post photos of their catalog to corroborate this statement, showing actually voltage and amperage of the unit.

Just not had time to write the article.

Respectfully

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                    classicomctools@gmail.com

The Boat House
                    Participant

dave-bernard
                      Participant

US Member

If you use a battery you don’t need plug in and can do it at the dock.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.