Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury 200 Water Pump

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

Im servicing a Merc 200 20hp water pump. Motor I found in a barn.

Everything was corroded on this bugger. I had to grind the prop apart to get it off, after melting the hub with a torch to get that off first. The bolt under the anode was severely corroded, so had to cut a hole in the anode over the hidden bolt to get that out. Boy are those anodes tough to drill through!

Anyways, the seal on top of the impeller housing is rotten. I picked it all out, and thought I could press a suitable sized oil seal in there? I have something that would work but would need to dremel out the hole a touch to get the seal in. Anyone done this before? The seal that is original in there does not look like it would do a great job? The hole looks eccentric though, and off round? Like I would only need to dremel out half the hole? Does this sound like a plan, or are these seals fairly common.

cheers

jpatti75
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I didn’t have any trouble finding a seal for my ’68 lower unit/water pump…I think I got them from MarineEngine.com. I can’t remember off the top of my head, but they may also use a slinger on the driveshaft just on top water pump housing and seal.

chris-p
        Participant

Yeah I found the remains of a slinger, thanks!

Ill post a wanted ad in the webvertize for some parts thanks!

Mumbles
          Participant

Parts? I just got rid of a ’65 200. I would have given you anything you wanted off it! 😯

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- … e_25580043

chris-p
            Participant

I have been trying to locate the seal and a prop. I had to cut mine off! Im sure one will turn up , thanks though Mumbles.

jasonh
              Participant

Prop should be no problem on eBay.

dave-bernard
                Participant

might have a prop how many splines

20mercman
                  Participant

quote Mumbles:

Parts? I just got rid of a ’65 200. I would have given you anything you wanted off it! 😯

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- … e_25580043

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am missing a 65 200 from my collection!! That would look fantastic next to my 63,64, 66…..etc. 😥

Steve

chris-p
                    Participant

8 spline with 9P44 on it

chris-p
                      Participant
                        quote jpatti75:

I didn’t have any trouble finding a seal for my ’68 lower unit/water pump…I think I got them from MarineEngine.com. I can’t remember off the top of my head, but they may also use a slinger on the driveshaft just on top water pump housing and seal.

I believe the seal is part 40 here? They don’t have it listed, nor a part number for it?

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercu … ete-page-1

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.