Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury 650 problems – is it worth an overhaul?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    shoestringmariner
    Participant

Wonderful, thanks so much for the help. You guys are fantastic

shoestringmariner
      Participant

Does anyone know what thread size this is on the top of the flywheel? I need to make a lifting lug so I can change my transom. I thought it was a 1 inch pipe size, but the threads on the flywheel look straight (not tapered) and are too fine. Looks like one and a half inch diameter bore.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t know what thread it is but you need something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Marine … Sw57xaiitl

$25 shipped to your door AND a flywheel puller, too. If it works, it’s the bargain of the century.

Edit: An ad says 1 1/2-16 thread, for what it’s worth. I know it is a straight thread, not pipe.

Long live American manufacturing!

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

that is it well worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

shoestringmariner
            Participant

Looks like I’m on the hook for one of those unless I can borrow one from a local motor guy. I cannot find that thread in pipe or hardware (Thought about boring out a bolt if I could find one)

In any case, back to the situation at hand. I have dropped the lower unit twice.
              First time I rotated the cam and I got lock in forward gear, with a full click release when put in reverse. Naturally I figured I had it in the opposite direction (180 deg) so I put it back to where it was and explored whether I can get it to lock with my fingers like I could when it locked in forward gear. Strange.

EDIT; I decided to drop the lower unit again and rotate the cam only 90°. Success !!

Not at all pleased with my mechanic

Thanks again for your help guys
              wonderful forum

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m glad your reverse lock works now. It’s very dangerous when it doesn’t hold. As for the cam, because of the splines, there are only six chances to be right! (Yeah, and five to be wrong.)

Long live American manufacturing!

shoestringmariner
                Participant
                  quote tarcigam:

They have many detractors. Few fans. Try Johns site, I know there thatis at least one person there that loves em. I have some parts motors.

Which site is that?
                  I’ve decided to try make a go of this motor.
                  Will be looking for re-wiring information and how to do carb adjustments

dave-bernard
                  Participant

Johnsoldmercsite.com

Pondrocket
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

ShoestringMariner,

Thank you for your interest and questions on your Merc 650 problems. You are always welcome here that is why we set these boards up. The members here have loads of information at your fingertips all you need to do is ask .If you can’t get the information here by all means get it where you can.. Matt and Dave is there a reason you don’t answer questions here on this topic and suggest ShoestringMariner to go else where??

Travis

Travis
                      AOMCI VP Communications
                      AOMCI Webmaster
                      webmaster@aomci.org

dave-bernard
                      Participant

I answered his ?? about the site. and the lift ring. what other ??? did he have . what year is the motor and what does he need answered. did I miss something. john’s is more dedicated to merc’s.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 40 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.