Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury fuel fitting repair?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant

I seem to remember seeing a post here about replacing the O-rings in the Mercury bayonet fittings(the female end), but can’t find it. Do these come apart to replace the o-rings or am I dreaming?

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I had a post going about doing the TANK fitting. I seem to recall they take dash 205 o-rings, which are the same on the hose end fitting. They appear big but they are right. (Don’t go buy 100 of them until I double check that number!)

The problem is, there are two o-rings. One is easy to change. The other has the check ball up against it, under spring pressure, all the time. On the TANK fitting, you can remove the pick-up from the tank, remove the tube and reach in with some small tool to hold the ball and spring out of the way. On the hose end, you can’t.

I still have not figured out an easy way to do a hose end. The twist latch part IS just pressed in. I actually sawed a whole hose end fitting in half and made a cut away, to know exactly what I was dealing with. (I could send you a pic if you want it.) However, that thing is a really tight fit. I made a special puller and heated the fitting, but the twist latch ears still snapped off, when I tried to pull one out. Your luck may vary.

Long live American manufacturing!

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

On the hose fitting I read that heating them can take them apart. don’t know.

david-bartlett
          Participant

Bill and Dave,

Thanks for the replies. I am interested in the tank fitting more than anything. I will try Bill’s suggestion and see what happens. I have the tank all apart now anyway.

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I checked and they ARE dash 205 o-rings.If you can’t find any, I will send you a couple for free.

opposedtwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Isn’t the whole unit still available for around $15?

chris-p
                Participant

^^^ Yup or less than that’

That is why I never change the o rings. I tried to separate the halves once yet broke it, haven’t tried another. Perhaps if you get them real hot?

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The picture of the hose end fitting is there mostly to show the arrangement of stuff, which is the identical arrangement in the tank pick-up fitting. That’s what David said he was trying to work on. Not sure those are available for $15. Still, I think it would be neat to be able to change the hose end fitting o-rings because $15 may be cheap, but about 20 cents is even cheaper.

20mercman
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
                      quote BillW:

The picture of the hose end fitting is there mostly to show the arrangement of stuff, which is the identical arrangement in the tank pick-up fitting. That’s what David said he was trying to work on. Not sure those are available for $15. Still, I think it would be neat to be able to change the hose end fitting o-rings because $15 may be cheap, but about 20 cents is even cheaper.

I love the way you put this Bill….$15 may be cheap, but about 20 cents is even cheaper 😆 😆 😆 Post of the day! I think DNA runs in the club as most of us are the kind who don’t throw things away that can be repaired. It is in our blood. If it was manufactured, it must be able to be taken apart….

Steve

chris-p
                      Participant

They likely made it that way, to ensure you could not repair it.

If they wanted to make it repairable, they should have threaded the insert in, to allow ease in changing the o rings.

I was going to go down, and heat the heck out of one, to see if I could separate it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.