Mercury KE4 Assembly

Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury KE4 Assembly

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar goldmember 1 day, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    goldmember
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 31
    Topics: 14

Finally putting the finished product together and I want to double check the power head mounting.
    My outboard had a metal shim under one end and under the gasket on top of the lower unit. I assume I need to put that back.
    Also I have a round gasket with a flat end that is for the copper water tube. Does that go under (on top of the metal shim) or over the main gasket ?

Attachments:
    green-thumbs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 297
    Topics: 35

It is a Mercury thing, apparently Mercury decided the rectangular metal plate served no
    purpose so they left it out. My Mercury Illustrated Parts Catalog does not show the plate
    nor is it mentioned in parts list for combined KE4/Mark7
    Probably a hold over from KD series used on some KE4 but not on Mark 7
    I have several of the rectangular plates in parts drawer…
    For what it is worth I believe plate (when used) goes on top of gasket as otherwise the
    holes are not effectively sealed
    One thing is certain, the plates are not used on singles…lol
    Louis

Did you find a copper stamping as part of the old gasket? I believe the metal plate
    and the coppper gasket are used together. Mercury seemed to be continualy
    looking at product for ways to reduce costs. Just my opinion and i have been in error
    at times.

goldmember
    US Member - 1 Year

The old gasket had the plate under the gasket up against the lower unit. No copper stamping on my 1947.

green-thumbs
    US Member - 1 Year

Mr Grubb or Mr. Thurwachter may know for sure. As for me, I would leave plate out entirely
    if the copper stamping is not used. I use Permatex # 2 gasket sealer with the two gaskets
    laying down the large gasket first then positioning the smaller water tube gasket before joining powerhead to driveshat/exhaust housing.
    That may seem to be leaving out items , but, that is how the Mercury Parts Manual for KE4/Mark7 illustration shows it. No * indicating a change, so it seems fair to assume
    it will work.

The copper stamping bonded to gasket and the cover plate were used ,but, from what
    parts manual shows they were later made without either of them. The water jackets
    show no change. Very early production KE4 use KD4 cylinders, pistons and rods
    with the 4 leaf reed block and later crankshaft. Using up old stock parts is another
    Mercury thing.

Louis

green-thumbs
    US Member - 1 Year

Mr Grubb or Mr. Thurwachter may know for sure. As for me, I would leave plate out entirely
    if the copper stamping is not used. I use Permatex # 2 gasket sealer with the two gaskets
    laying down the large gasket first then positioning the smaller water tube gasket before joining powerhead to driveshat/exhaust housing.
    That may seem to be leaving out items , but, that is how the Mercury Parts Manual for KE4/Mark7 illustration shows it. No * indicating a change, so it seems fair to assume
    it will work.

The copper stamping bonded to gasket and the cover plate were used ,but, from what
    parts manual shows they were later made without either of them. The water jackets
    show no change. Very early production KE4 use KD4 cylinders, pistons and rods
    with the 4 leaf reed block and later crankshaft. Using up old stock parts is another
    Mercury thing.
    Some lower cylinders are not machined on face that contact driveshaft/exhaust housing
    so that may be how the cover plate fits in. Mercury is also known for listing later
    parts and not mentioning earlier patterns that were No Longer Available.

Louis

goldmember
    US Member - 1 Year

Wow. Interesting. Thank You

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.