Mercury KE4 Ignition

Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury KE4 Ignition

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
    goldmember

Replies: 36
    Topics: 15

I get 3.2 on the primary for both and 5.7 on one secondary and 7.2 on the other secondary. I like your idea for the coils but it would be nice if someone could tell me if my readings are good or not. I don’t want to go through all of this for bad coils.

How do you test the capacitors?

goldmember

Great. How would I find that?

seakaye12
    seakaye12

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 493
    Topics: 116

Capacitors are challenging to test without an ignition tester like a Mercotronic or Stevens. You can do simple tests with an ohmeter; test for a direct short (shouldn’t be shorted of course…) and then you can test with an analog meter and watch for just a bit of a bump of the needle on the 1k resistance scale. The needle should deflect just a bit and then return to rest. But these are simple basic tests that cannot indicate a cap which will fail under load. Usually they are just replaced if suspected bad.

I have resisted answering your question about the variance in the secondary resistance. I would think they should be the same if they were the same brand/vintage/model of coil….but I have seen many instances where coils will vary like that and still work. Like I stated in my first post here….if it were me I would clean things up and try running the motor or just do a spark test. Simple, quick and informative. If this is a motor that you want to build to be a daily runner then you will most likely want to replace coils, condensers, wires and points as the budget allows and parts become available.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by seakaye12seakaye12.
    goldmember

Thanks for your help. I will do just that.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.