Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury KE4 Timing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    goldmember
    Participant

How do you set the timing on this motor? The manual isn’t very clear. There are 2 holes in the flywheel that you are supposed to set the timing through, a “T” -(Timing) hole and an “I” -(Ignition) hole. Are you supposed to set the points gap through the “T” hole or the “I”?

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

which ever one opens the points

goldmember
        Participant

I replaced the original coils with the military surplus coils that I bought on eBay. They have a red wire and a black wire coming out of one side.

Do you know which wire goes to the points and which one to the ground?
          Also, does it matter which coils plug wire goes to which cylinder.

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Spark should happen in cylinder with piston at top of stroke…if wires are reversed the spark happens in cylinder with piston at bottom of stroke…an easy mistake to make
            With Bendix magneto ignition cam is part of flywheel. You must open points up all the
            way to clear the cam as flywheel is installed. After flywheel is in place you set and lock
            point gap at top of cam ramp by use of feeler gauge thru openings in top of flywheel

If you do not like the Bendix magneto the Repco Phelon system on later KE4/Mark 7 will
            swap in without any modifications. Mercury sold a lot of KE4 & Mark 7 so they show up
            at meets and are fairly inexpensive to buy…sometimes not so inexpensive to restore.
            Very attractive when polished and painted. Tanks often dented and cowls missing.
            Louis

goldmember
            Participant

I am not getting this.

I open up both sets of point wide so I can put the flywheel on the shaft with the key in place.

Then I rotate the flywheel so that the “T” is over one set of points (Spark plugs are out so I verify TDC of the piston that those points work with) and set those points to close while up against the cam. Tighten down the points.

Am I correct so far?

Then without rotating the flywheel I set the other points to .018 and tighten down the points.

Do I have this right?

NO as the motor does NOT fire at Top Dead Center (TDC), it fires before TDC.
              At what point does it fire before TDC???, well heck it is .235 thousandths before TDC, unless your doing a race motor, they are I think .265 before TDC. They make a tool for this specific purpose.

But this one can be done. Once the first or TOP cylinder is done rotate the crank so that the bottom cylinder is .235 before TDC, then set the corresponding point set to open at that point. Boom you are done..

I should make these tools….

Regards

Richard

dave-bernard
              Participant

.018 is the widest it should be at top of cam. then close as you turn the fly wheel.

The Boat House
                Participant

green-thumbs
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Lets back this train up to the station…TIMING is a concept that confuses the issue here

You set the each set of points at top of cam. You rotate flywheel to line up opening in flywheel with each set at the high point of cam.

That does it

When you move the magneto handle you advance or retard ignition in relation event
                    thus varing timing..
                    You will note the front of motor has a Stop, Slow, Start and Fast positions marked
                    As you move lever from Stop to Fast you are advancing timing as well as opening carburetor shutter.

When you are setting points at high point of cam the position of magneto lever
                    is irrelevant. It is all about setting the gap against the high point of the cam. If the
                    point gaps are right for both sets of points you are good to go. as far as ignition
                    is concerned.
                    Louis

Louis

dave-bernard
                    Participant

agreed , that is what I was saying.

goldmember
                      Participant

I get that. But I guess what confuses me are the 2 holes in the flywheel. If I am hearing you right I rotate the flywheel so the “T” hole is over 1 set of points then set them to .018.

Then rotate the flywheel so the same “T” hole is over the next set of points and then set them to.018.

Is that correct?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.