Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury KG-7 Super 10

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    4chevys4me
    Participant

Hello all,
      new to the forum. I just picked up a Mercury KG-7 Super 10 Kiekhaefer corp.

Motor is complete other than someone removed the points and condensers. The coils look original and are cracked.

good compression and everything moves freely and easily.

Are these parts available? Part numbers?

Or am I better off parting out this unit? What Yr is this? SE# 491580

Not looking for a money pit, this would be my first outboard re-build, I normally stick with vintage dirt bikes.

Thank you in advance,
      Paul P.

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Paul,
        You have a nice motor. It should have a Bendix type magneto & E bay has replacements, not factory but military coils that fit. The points you need to find a good used pair as they are NLA. Some Mercury’s swap with airplane magnetos but not yours sadly. Have you tried to drain the gearcase or checked out the prop? It has clutches from the factory. Behind the clutches is the waterpump, I’m sure it’s bad. Look uo Old Merc’s.com. They have some parts & seals you will need. Your motor started as a KA seriies & went on to be KE7, KF7, KG7 & KH7 green tanks. There is much to learn here, but many here are knowledgable. Don’t give it up so soon. That 10hp motor actually outputs 18hp & you are in for a RIDE!!!
        The driveshaft from motor to gearcase may have some rust & need repair. Believe me one ride & you will see it’s a keeper!!
        The crankshaft seals are worn too but no biggie. May I ask for photos posted? What is the compression of both cylinders? If you are lucky the tiller handle might have the factory screwdriver. Try unscrewing the grip. Very cool motors. I have had mine for 10 years now. Pay attention to details building it like a 2 stroke dirt bike. Back in the day I had a Honda 350 SL model, actually 324 cc. Bored it out to 368 cc & ported the head & added Honda 450 carbs with a good dirt cam.
        Lots of fun with both dirt & water.
        Jeff

4chevys4me
        Participant
          billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No, your link shows a Phelon tune up set, which is different than Bendix. There is a small possibility that you DO have a Phelon mag; so either post a pic or look closely at the mag plate to tell us which brand of mag you have. A KG7 was “rated” at ten hp but was known to put out 16 or more. It is one gnarly beast underway. It will make a dirt bike guy stand up and take notice! It would be a shame to part out a complete one…

Long live American manufacturing!

Ralph Simmons
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

yea you should stick with it
              they are a Beast
              start it up, make it go , HANG ON
              i have 3 of them
              one with a racing gear foot
              back in the day this was the motor to beat
              in hydroplane racing. Look up Old Merc’s.com
              for parts

Ralph Simmons
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

here are the years built on your motor from
                old mercs .com website
                KG7

Super 10 Hurricane

10+

402543 thru 537512

1950-52

The Boat House
                Participant

4chevys4me
                  Participant

Dirty, all screws are missing as well as the flywheel nut

The Boat House
                    Participant

opposedtwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes! That’s one of the best i’ve read on this mag. Thanks to all who contributed!
                        Scott

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by opposedtwin.
                        • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by opposedtwin.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.