Home Forum Ask A Member mercury switches

• This topic has 7 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by r-c.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    scoot
    Participant

Looking to buy a couple of mercury switches for mid 50s 30hp Evinrude.
      Any sources?
      Thanks.

Scoot

mr-asa
      Participant

Can you even buy them anymore? I would think the sale of them would be regulated somewhat.

wedgie
        Participant

Keep your eyes on Ebay. I found one NOS for a 59 Bigtwin .Cost around 8 bucks. Or….

Check with Dan Gano or Ed Elliot as they both have lots of NOS parts. I will find their contact info and post it later.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the old round faced furnace thermostats have mercury switches inside . if you are stuck you could probably canibalize one and rig it up Inside your engine at the proper angle

Heat shrink wrap it for protection or apply a coat of silicone or… époxy ..to protect the glass tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGohPXdJEgo

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

http://www.marineengine.com doesn’t have any for the 30hp, but they do have a couple for the 1957 35hp. I think it just has a longer wire.

billy-j
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you need one for a 1956 30HP. get one for a 30 HP. They are specific to the year engine. I think it is the angle of the mounting tab on the switch that is different from year to year. If you still have yours and the wire is broke off just clean up where the wire is attached and solder the wire back on. Bill,

outboardnut
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I ‘m up in Fremont wi fishing_live in burb in chicago
                  I think I may have one from a 35 hp Johnson RDS-21–1959
                  If there is way you can use it let me know
                  Maybe there is some way to figure the correct angle?

r-c
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Just don’t start your engine with a lot of throttle in forward or reverse! The only reason the mercury switch is there as a safety devise, so you can’t start the engine at full throttle in forward or reverse. System check… am in in neutral, am at start position, if ok pull rope or turn key. The lawyers started that far back!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.