Home Forum Ask A Member More Elgin 7.5 HP motor advise needed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have this motor almost finished. I need decals, and the front panal/cover.
      My biggest question is does anyone know how to restore this plastic back to looking new or newer? Can it be done at all or do you recommend painting it? I tried buffing out the plastic but it didn’t help much at all.

Does anyone sell decals for this motor? I looked for Elgin parts websites but they deal with the green Elgins.
      Any help would be appreciated.

thumbnail-8

thumbnail-7

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

You are indeed lucky to have a cowl. They are generally considered unrepairable plastic.

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

paint .
          the elgin on the side is metal not a decal. your decals look great.

huntleybill
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, the “Elgin” on the side is chrome plated. It is pitted and rough but I am hoping to polish it as I am sure getting it re-chromed is going to be costly. The decals in the pictures look better in the pictures. The front panel decal is even worse. The piece of plastic on the front panel where the F-N-R is broken off. I have it just sitting there for the picture. I need that front/face panel as well.

I can paint the cover but I have never seen, nor have I ever been able to mask off decals such that when the painting is done, it does not look like the decals were masked off and painted!!! It usually looks like crap. Seems no-one makes decals for these motors, or I haven’t found them yet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.