Home Forum Ask A Member More questions on the 1959 Johnson 50 hp V-4

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I need to replace the points and condenser on this motor. I used some sand paper, and through the inspection hole, I cleaned the points and now have spark. I’d still like to go ahead and replace them anyway. Can I use the OMC universal flywheel puller to get the pulley off? It looks like it’s set up for a three point puller. Also, when I put the drive belt back on, how do I get it back in time? I see the reference marks on the pulley… I don’t have a service manual for this one, nor have I never worked on one. Frank, I know this is right up your alley! Thanks

frankr
      Participant

The pulley will simply pull up and off by hand. As for belt timing, gimme some time to find the pictures.

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

I couldn’t seem to get the pulley to move. I resisted the urge to pry or hit on it too. I’ll take another look tomorrow. Thanks Frank.

frankr
          Participant

I can’t seem to find my pictures for the 50. It is slightly different than later models. So….from memory, here goes.

1. Align flywheel mark between marks on recoil starter and top off powerhead

2. There is a mark on the side of the breaker plate. That mark extends down and across the bottom of the plate. Align pulley with that mark

3. There is a mark on the magneto mounting bracket. Adjust throttle/mag rotation till the line across the bottom of the breaker plate aligns with mark on mounting bracket.

4. Make sure mark on pulley is still aligned, and the ones on the bracket & breaker plate. Then slip belt on.

Subject to brain fart.

It is ok to use your puller on that pulley if necessary. It may be a tad stuck with age. It is a straight shaft, not tapered like a flywheel.

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

Sounds good Frank, I’ll give it a try. I’ve always heard that these old V-4’s are major fuel hogs.. if a person would run it say 3/4 throttle, and on this 18 ft aluminum runabout, would it be that bad? This boat is not really that heavy, at least compared to the fiberglass hulls of that era.

frankr
              Participant

Who worried about fuel in 1959? Yeah. they burned a lot of gas. Somewhere around 9 Gallons per hour, as I remember it. The ’58 could be especially bad, but the ’59 should have the modified carburetor. Sure, backing the throttle off to cruise position helps.

punchbug
                Participant

Frank do you have the parts manual for it. I could send it to you if you dont have it

frankr
                  Participant

quote punchbug:

Frank do you have the parts manual for it. I could send it to you if you dont have it

I do have it, but thanks anyway.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.